serious concern! - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on serious concern! within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Any mods done to the car? I vividly remember the same thing happened to me after I did a TBE ...

Is in Love With the Admins Here 20WRX04's Avatar
    Any mods done to the car? I vividly remember the same thing happened to me after I did a TBE & UP. Where do you live? It could also be condensation as the weather has been turning colder every night.
    The first rule of the Faction is...DO NOT TALK ABOUT THE FACTION.
    NY GIANTS
    Hybrid Faction #19
    Blobeye Syndicate #19
    Mods

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by 20WRX04 View Post
    Any mods done to the car? I vividly remember the same thing happened to me after I did a TBE & UP. Where do you live? It could also be condensation as the weather has been turning colder every night.

Sounds like PB blaster to me.
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

The only modifications to the car are an Invidia down pipe, with 3 inch Borla exhaust, and the bpv from an sti....

Also, I had considered that it quite possibly could of just been steam, because i live in iowa and it is geting colder in the evenings. However this "smoke" seemed to hover in the air and linger for quite sometime. It didn't quickly disapate like steam usually does...

P.S. I really appreciate all of the helpful knowledge from everyone. It's good to know that a new subie owner like myself can come to a place like WRXclub and get so much free information.

Is in Love With the Admins Here 20WRX04's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mycologist View Post
    Sounds like PB blaster to me.
    It could've very well been PB. But it sure didn't smell like burned penetrating fluid. Who knows.
    Quote Originally Posted by naneek View Post
    The only modifications to the car are an Invidia down pipe, with 3 inch Borla exhaust, and the bpv from an sti.
    If you've had those mods on your car for awhile, then I highly doubt they're the culprit. Fyi,.. the STi bpv is the same as the WRX bpv. But it's good that you're using the stock unit instead of an atmospheric blow off valve(BOV). You should look into getting a catless up pipe(UP) soon. Or you can gut your stock one. There's plenty of how to's out there. What engine management(EM) are you running?
    The first rule of the Faction is...DO NOT TALK ABOUT THE FACTION.
    NY GIANTS
    Hybrid Faction #19
    Blobeye Syndicate #19
    Mods

1. sucks about the smoke
    2. kill the people who egged your baby!!!!

csm
    wait... you still have a Hardee's near you? they closed them around here.

If I had to take a shot, it sounds like possibly coolant leaking into the exhaust from a leaky turbo seal. That of course has a distinct smell, which you seem to know from your car knowledge. Note that there are (2) interconnected anti-freeze reservoirs, one closer to the turbo to the right of the intercooler. Check them both, just for kicks. I have had seen where there was a coolant issue and it was due to a line clog on the upper mini-reservoir. True they will equalize (example: if you see your overflow bottle low, open the cap on the upper reservoir, and the fluid will drain to your overflow. This is a good check to see if your lines are clear.

The leak might be intermittent, meaning that as the car warms up/expands, the small leak will "seal up". This is rare though

Of course, it could have been just a lot of condensate!

Just my 2 cents, hopefully someone else has run into this and can give you a better diagnosis!
    Movn' on up to an '06 WRX
    Vf-39 all the way!

Love to build 'em, just to ship 'em out and start all over!

I got friends in cyberspace, so I must be cool, right?
    Facebook / Myspace

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12