Brake Upgrades
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Brake Upgrades within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I would like to upgrade the brakes on my '02 WRX but a big brake kit seems a little expensive ...

Brake Upgrades

I would like to upgrade the brakes on my '02 WRX but a big brake kit seems a little expensive for my taste. If I install aftermarket rotors, pads, and possibly braided steel brake lines would this provide a major improvement? I don't take the car on tracks but I have heard brakes are one of the first things that need to be upgraded. I just don't see a point in paying $2,000 for a big brake kit if I don't race the car. Any suggestions?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Banned
    Go to a subbie junkyard or something, and get some brembo's!

I Support ClubWRX
    Pads + lines + fluids would be a major step. This can be done for $400-450 (if you install yourself). Do this, and if it's not enough, then look into other rotors.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

If finding STi Brembo's proves difficult (and/or pricey) I would recommend what I did: get a set of LGT calipers and rotors. Love them to death
    Rogan: Live simply, love generously, care deeply, speak kindly.
    Mods List Build Thread
    Bugeye Mafia #196 High Mileage Club
    Fully Built EJ257 HYBRID & JDM STI 6-Speed

Miniature Awesomness

brembos from an sti sounds good. what years sti should I be looking for that will work for my 02? what parts would all have to be had to do it right?
    2002 wagon stock auto

Quote Originally Posted by kokoshoe View Post
    I would like to upgrade the brakes on my '02 WRX but a big brake kit seems a little expensive for my taste. If I install aftermarket rotors, pads, and possibly braided steel brake lines would this provide a major improvement? I don't take the car on tracks but I have heard brakes are one of the first things that need to be upgraded. I just don't see a point in paying $2,000 for a big brake kit if I don't race the car. Any suggestions?
    If you dont track the car you dont need upgraded brakes. However what I would suggest is that you do get stainless lines, upgrade the brake fluid to motul dot 5 and get hawk hps pads. *I have this exact setup on my 2004 wrx and autox it about every other weekend. The thing stops on a dime! I have to be careful when I drive other cars because my car stops so fast. I about drove my girlfriend's civic off a curve in the road because I was so used to my brakes on the wrx. The only way you would need a big brake upgrade would be if you drive wildly enough and insane enough for brake fade to be a problem.

IMHO Brembos are overkill for anything done on the street.
    *They look sic though.

If you need new rotors I would get the DBA 4000 series rotors. People seem to be buzzing about these rotors on every thread I read.
    Cobb Accessport v1 stage 2 93 map, Nitto Invo Tires, Sti Front and Perrin Rear Sways, Rota Torque Wheels, APS Exhaust 3.5" turbo back. Catless TurboXS Up pipe, Goodridge Stainless Steel Brake lines, Hawk HPS Brake Pads, Paranoid Fabrications Cowl Braces, Group-N Tophats, Group-N Trans and Engine Mount, Tokico Dspec w/ Rce Black springs

Thanks

Hey, thanks guys, I will probably get the lines, pads, and fluids like recomended by a few of you. I will keep my eyes open for the brembos from a junkyard or something. Thanks.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.