is there a recommended oil 4 a 04 wrx?
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on is there a recommended oil 4 a 04 wrx? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; just want to know what kind of oil should i put in my 04 wrx anything recommended and it low ...

is there a recommended oil 4 a 04 wrx?

just want to know what kind of oil should i put in my 04 wrx anything recommended and it low on oil car shouldnt burn up any oil it only got 77k any suggestions

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

DUB
    Quote Originally Posted by rvpwrx31 View Post
    just want to know what kind of oil should i put in my 04 wrx anything recommended and it low on oil car shouldnt burn up any oil it only got 77k any suggestions
    Open your hood and read what it says on the yellow oil filler cap. That is what kind you should put in.

Every motor is a little different, some consume more oil than others. I have heard other WRX owners complain that their car can burn as much as 1qt of oil over 3k miles. If your car burns this much, try switching brands, that sometimes helps. If it burns more, I would start looking for the problem.

thanks man i looked on the cap it says 5w30 i put in mobil one thats what i have put in everythin else i have owned and im definetely keepin an eye out 4 leaks

I Support ClubWRX
    Mobil 1 5W-30.
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

I got Rex used coming off of a lease, and the person only ever got things done at the dealer, which used conventional. If I bought it new, you better believe I'd have synthetic in that sucker from day one, but ce la vie.

I stick with 5w-30 Mobil 1 conventional year-round (in NJ). I actually use the Clean 5000, which is an extended life 5kmi conventional. I do a lot of highway-type driving, so it's perfect for me. Never had a problem, and things run super smooth and super clean. I considered switching to synthetic merely due to Mobil's guarantee that mixing theirs has no problems, but the old-schooler in me can't get over the seal swelling mythos.

In all actuality, whichever brand you like, just make sure you stick with it, as each company's blend is a little different.

Last edited by pfsquirrel; 09-29-2008 at 08:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 04.SPT.WRX View Post
    Mobil 1 5W-30.
    ^^^^ If you want a spun bearing

OP- buy the best Amsoil 5w-30 and change it every 5K, its one of, if not the best oils out
    2004 wrb WRX "Bugeye"
    http://www.misubie.com/

DUB
    Quote Originally Posted by shamrock View Post
    ^^^^ If you want a spun bearing

OP- buy the best Amsoil 5w-30 and change it every 5K, its one of, if not the best oils out
    conclusive proof or gtfo.

Quote Originally Posted by DUB View Post
    conclusive proof or gtfo.
    tons of threads on nasioc with people who use M1 abd get spun bearings. M1 really thins down at high operating temps
    2004 wrb WRX "Bugeye"
    http://www.misubie.com/

Quote Originally Posted by shamrock View Post
    tons of threads on nasioc with people who use M1 abd get spun bearings. M1 really thins down at high operating temps
    Sorry to open an old thread but i also have a 2004 Subaru WRX Ej205 2.0l turbo , i worked at the Subaru dealership as a mechanic and you can use just regular 5w30 motor oil in it. I was told anything up until 2007 turbo or non turbo can use regular engine oil. With that being said i still run synthetic oil in my Subi, i have always used Mobil 1 but just recently i keep hearing a knocking noise from the motor which is no bueno at all. So i am switching to Valvoline 5w30 synthetic. Should i be using a thicker weight oil? other than 5w30 only 60k on her? I just heard its bad to switch from synthetic to conventional.
    2004 Subaru WRX SRR

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Skunk Records View Post
    Sorry to open an old thread but i also have a 2004 Subaru WRX Ej205 2.0l turbo , i worked at the Subaru dealership as a mechanic and you can use just regular 5w30 motor oil in it. I was told anything up until 2007 turbo or non turbo can use regular engine oil. With that being said i still run synthetic oil in my Subi, i have always used Mobil 1 but just recently i keep hearing a knocking noise from the motor which is no bueno at all. So i am switching to Valvoline 5w30 synthetic. Should i be using a thicker weight oil? other than 5w30 only 60k on her? I just heard its bad to switch from synthetic to conventional.

Valvoline VR1 is an excellent oil. Whether or not you should be using a thicker weight would depend on operating conditions, and how your oil pressure is behaving (as well as UOA results).

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.