Help w/Troubleshooting: Squeak Under Car
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Help w/Troubleshooting: Squeak Under Car within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; It's funny after you buy a car, you really get a chance to learn all about it and get to ...

Help w/Troubleshooting: Squeak Under Car

It's funny after you buy a car, you really get a chance to learn all about it and get to know it!

I got a squeak. Medium-high pitched and seems to be caused by bumps or small vibrations. This is a stretch, but it is about the same frequency as when my smoke alarm beeps when the battery is low.

It sounds like it's coming from underneath the car. I'm thinking it's the exhaust near the downpipe. There are two bolts missing from the exhaust that attach the pipe to the transmission case. Would this cause the exhaust to rock back and forth (and vibrate) too much, causing the squeak perhaps on rubber mounts? Are there rubber mounts in that area?

I most likely need to get some metric bolts and re-attach the exhaust, right? Any other ideas? Thanks kindly.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

check the heat shielding the whole way back. is it stock exhaust? take some pics where the bolts are missing. post us something to work with and we will be more than happy to work with you
    04' WRB wagon stage 2
    wagon Mafia #1 Where my wagons at?

Quote Originally Posted by WRXwagonMAFIA View Post
    check the heat shielding the whole way back. is it stock exhaust? take some pics where the bolts are missing. post us something to work with and we will be more than happy to work with you
    Yes, stock exhaust. Forgot to mention that. Let me get some pics.

Yep, heatshield mounts I would say. How about bolt dimensions for these? I'll run to sears tomorrow and go metric stainless.

Pictures:
    1. Transmission Case Mount
    2. Looking Back Towards Rear - Midway Mount

I Support ClubWRX
    It's likely just the two flanges rubbing together where the bolts are missing. Should be an easy fix.
    tEh PriUs=teH faSTah!@@!
    08 Audi S5 Black Diamond edition
    SOLD: 05 SWP Legacy GT Limited 5MT, 13.3ish@105 (stage 2) crappy stock clutch
    SOLD: 04 MPS/SW WRX Sti. 12.971 @ 103.97 (stock)
    278 AWHP/283 AWT, Catback exhaust
    306 AWHP/341 AWT, Stage 2
    (Scott) Moderator-STi, Drag Racing, Car Purchasing, and Tutorial Forums

Quote Originally Posted by YBNormal07 View Post
    It's likely just the two flanges rubbing together where the bolts are missing. Should be an easy fix.
    I think you're right. Matter of fact, I'm 90% sure this is the issue. Banging the exhaust with my hand, I could hear the squeak, though not as loud. I will bolt it together with some hardware tomorrow and report back. Therefore, this thread can be closed with a resolution, which some of the threads in the forums lack.

Could someone tell me if there should be a washer (metal or high-temp rubber) in between the heatshield mount and the tranny? The gap just seems too big to tighten and clamp down (and bend) to the case. And how about in the next photo?

Thanks for the help!

I Support ClubWRX
    I don't recall any washers on the heat shield bolts, but if there were, they were small ones. Most if not all of the bolts were just small 5 sided bolts that you use a socket on. Of course, if there is a large gap, and you don't want to bend the shield, you can put in a filler like a washer or two, but I wouldn't sweat it. As long as the heat shield isn't bent to where it rubs against something, it doesn't hurt it to flex when tightening.
    Word of advice..put some anti-sieze on every bolt/nut you install. You'll thank me later when you go to remove these again for any reason. Makes it a lot easier and prevents rusting.
    tEh PriUs=teH faSTah!@@!
    08 Audi S5 Black Diamond edition
    SOLD: 05 SWP Legacy GT Limited 5MT, 13.3ish@105 (stage 2) crappy stock clutch
    SOLD: 04 MPS/SW WRX Sti. 12.971 @ 103.97 (stock)
    278 AWHP/283 AWT, Catback exhaust
    306 AWHP/341 AWT, Stage 2
    (Scott) Moderator-STi, Drag Racing, Car Purchasing, and Tutorial Forums

I'm closing this one out. The squeak was caused by the missing bolt, seen in the second picture. I found a bolt that worked, tightened it up and no more squeak. Nice.

PS - I didn't bother with the missing transmission mount one...

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.