oil plug gasket

This is a discussion on oil plug gasket within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; or whatever you want to call it. the washer on the drain plug. how often do you have to change ...

oil plug gasket

or whatever you want to call it. the washer on the drain plug. how often do you have to change them? this is the 3rd time I have changed the oil but this time it is leaking. not bad but little drips. never did that before. I dont want to tighten it more cuz I dont want to strip the threads.
    2002 wagon stock auto

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    By the book, every time you change the oil. In reality you can re-use them for a long while provided they are not over-torqued.

You can use your thumb to keep most of the oil in the sump as you have a friend wipe off the drain plug, switch crush washers, and hand it back to you. You can do all this solo too if you're quick and good at planning ahead.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

what if I dont have friends or thumbs?
    2002 wagon stock auto

I Support ClubWRX
    That's a tough question. I certainly don't have any friends, but I do have thumbs so I've not run into too many problems the couple times I've had to replace drain plugs but keep as much oil as possible. If worse comes to worse change the oil again I suppose.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

go to the local oil change and buy a hanful. i work at valvoline instant change and we change every oil change, i have yet to see a return customer leak oil
    04' WRB wagon stage 2
    wagon Mafia #1 Where my wagons at?

thats sad about the friends. I was joking.

ill just let it drip. I got a pan under it. ill be changing it again in a month anyway. I know check levels often.
    2002 wagon stock auto

i just went to the dealership today to get my filter and oil plug seal. its a cheap little ring, i change my own oil so i really dont care its like $0.50 its just worth getting a new one each time u change oil. i mean u realy want all that new fresh oil drippin out.

Buy your filters from a dealer. They're almost the same price as an autoparts store and each one comes with the crush ring taped to the box.

By the book your supposed to change the ring each oil change.

Drip-pan under the car?!? That's just wrong on some level...
    06 GTO M6 Quicksilver, SLP 455 Bobcat, LS7 Clutch w/ SS line (RPM tune:373rwhp/373rwtq)
    07 WRX TR M5 Garnet Red Pearl w/ Straight PPGs and Cusco front LSD (Agile tune:307whp/343wtq)

i say ohh well if it keeps my car from leaking oil il do it.

P.S. just got done changing oil and rear diff oil. (my baby is good for another 3k.)