wrx problem help

This is a discussion on wrx problem help within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; my 2001 wrx is making a whining noise.sounds like its comin from front end but not sure,i can only hear ...

wrx problem help

my 2001 wrx is making a whining noise.sounds like its comin from front end but not sure,i can only hear it with window shut and in 5th gear,its a higher pitch than the turbo whine and gets louder the faster i go.but it stops when i let revs off.plus my car dont seem as quite and smooth as it was. has anybody else had this prob

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Hi! I had that type of noise in one situation, twice, first I installed a K&N typhoon CAI system bad, and the other one I installed a IC coupling bad...both times was a boost leak, only noticebly on full boost, depending on where is

A little more info is needed....... Miles, mods, etc.

it starts to whine/whistle at 2000 rpm in 5th gear after the turbo whindup. i did fit a bov but removed it the next day apart from that its only got prodrive backbox its got 60k miles

hey my car was making a similar sound and when i brought it to the dealership they said my tranny was shot. they rebuilt my transmission and replaced the clutch and the sound was gone
    bugeye !

pm me if you need custom vinlys.

how much did that cost.was the noise coming from the front on yours and could you hear it with window open

well i had a good warranty with my car it only cost me like 1500 for the clutch transmission new fog light and labor. but it was very faint when i had the window open but very noticable when it was closed.
    bugeye !

pm me if you need custom vinlys.

Although I have no idea where notts is, it has to be outside the US, as we didn't get the WRX till 2002, however I am going to ask a couple questions to eliminate futher ones (possibly)

1 - A/C on or off?
    2 - Car up to temp?
    3 - Cooling fans running or idle?
    4 - Mileage (or km I suppose) on the car?
    5 - Outside temp?
    6 - Wet or dry (or both)?
    7 - Manual or Auto?
    8 - While turning, or straight-line?

My first impression would be Clutch, however, after these questions are answered it could be a number of things.
    Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm.
    - Winston Churchill

Ah, the patter of little feet around the house. There's nothing like having a midget for a butler.

I am free of all prejudices. I hate everyone equally.
    - W.C. Fields

when runing at 2000 to 3500 rpm mainly noticible in 5th,car up to temp as its warm every morning before driving. its got 60k miles,with ac off in all weathers and both turning and in strait line, its a manual..

Quote Originally Posted by apd973 View Post
    hey my car was making a similar sound and when i brought it to the dealership they said my tranny was shot. they rebuilt my transmission and replaced the clutch and the sound was gone
    Your talking about a TO bearing.

Quote Originally Posted by betts View Post
    when runing at 2000 to 3500 rpm mainly noticible in 5th,car up to temp as its warm every morning before driving. its got 60k miles,with ac off in all weathers and both turning and in strait line, its a manual..
    Unusual, it is not your PS pump is it? Low on fluid.....well mine is pretty loud. Usually big problems make noise all the time and progressively get worse.

There is not much else it could be. My only other guess is the "BOV" that you test fitted stripped the BPV holes and it is a small boost leak.......more than likely.

Did your try to park it and have someone hold the revs at 2500 and see if you can't find it?
    WRB, Tial gated 20'gd, PPG reppin Bugeye FTW !

yea tried gettin my mate to hold revs but i cant here it out side only inside with windows up. and it really p****** me off now i now its there