Car Overheating.
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Car Overheating. within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; So yea recently I've been having a problem with my scooby. When I idle/drive slowly my temp gauge heats all ...

Car Overheating.

So yea recently I've been having a problem with my scooby. When I idle/drive slowly my temp gauge heats all the way up to red but when I drive at a faster speed and consistently, the temp will go all the way back down to normal really fast. I looked around on other threads and concluded on either a bad radiator fan or a bad thermostat. I checked the radiator fan and it works fine so I assumed it was a bad thermostat. I went to subaru and bought a new thermostat and I installed it today. Now the condition just got worse. Instead of the temp going back down at faster/consistent speeds, the temp just shoots up and stays at red and it doesn't go back down anymore. I'm thinking maybe I have bad luck and bought a broken thermostat from Subaru? Anyone got any input on this? Thanks a bunch

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    OK let's forget the new thermostat for a moment. Before replacing the thermostat, had you changed coolant, fixed some sort of leak, replaced a hose, removed the cap when the car was hot, or otherwise done anything at all to the cooling system? If so, what?

Post back.

Both the early and late symptoms match air pockets in the system (see my question above) and/or an obstruction in the system (likely in the radiator).

Miles on car? Miles since last coolant drain? Other info we should know?

Search "burping" and "air pockets" for procedure to re-fill coolant after any drain etc.
    Last edited by SD_GR; 09-13-2008 at 05:55 PM.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I bought the car used like 2 years ago. I had an overheating problem like about a year ago and i bought a new thermostat for that and it fixed it for a while. Like maybe 3 months ago when summer break started it started to do that hot while idle/slow speeds and cool while driving high speeds. I haven't changed or done anything else to the cooling system besides that one thermostat change (which wasn't done by me). I did burp it for a while as i was refilling the coolant. maybe i didn't do it enough, i'll def give that a check tmrw morning. I bought the car used at 55k miles, i'm at 72k miles now and haven't done anything to it. Last coolant drain i would assume would be when i changed my thermostat last time which would probably be about 10kish miles ago. There isn't much else really besides the car giving me problems since i bought it (ended up with a blown engine, bad clutch, bad tires, and much more). The previous user basically gave me a really beaten to hell car. I had my friend help me with the thermostat change and coolant refill and he's pretty handy in this (does all his own repairs, mods, changes everything) and we didn't seem to do anything wrong besides maybe not burping enough. so yea...

and regarding burping. when you burp it you just take the cap off and squeeze the radiator tubes until no more bubbles right? or am i doing it completely wrong

I Support ClubWRX
    The factory manual says to let the car warm up and carefully remove the radiator cap (probably spewing coolant everywhere despite covering the rad cap with a rag like they say), then refilling it and repeat. I refuse to do that!

I get the car completely cold (stone cold) then remove the rad cap, squeeze the top hose like you said, and keep at it until no more air bubbles come out. Then I turn the car on and leave the rad cap off until I either need to fill up more or I see circulation, meaning the thermostat has opened, and then replace the cap and see that the car does not overheat.

If it's not an air bubble in your system I'd suspect an obstruction. You might try looking for circulation anyway to see if the thermostat opens as you suspect.
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I Support ClubWRX
    Sounds like you put the new thermostat in backwards maybe.How did you test the fan and were both working or just one?Did you check the main fan with the A/C off?
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

mad props to you SD_GR haha you just saved me a trip to the garage to get it checked out. I did what you told me and I waited until my car was stone cold and i took the cap off and burped it for a while (there were still some air bubbles left) then i turned my car on and waited for the coolant to go down and added more then burped it again till no more bubbles. Just drove it around for like a good 20 minutes and the temp is staying perfectly where it should be xD

I Support ClubWRX
    Terrific, now keep an eye on it. Make sure it still maintains the correct temp and be very suspicious if you ever smell any coolant etc. Hopefully all's well that ends well.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.