Turbo Making Loud Noise

This is a discussion on Turbo Making Loud Noise within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I got a 03 WRX. It makes a loud "screaming" noise at boost... My friends describe it as a cat ...

Question Turbo Making Loud Noise

I got a 03 WRX. It makes a loud "screaming" noise at boost... My friends describe it as a cat screaming.... what would my problem be?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Possibilities include an up pipe leak and a failing compressor. The up pipe leak is more desirable. Let everything cool down completely and check it out. Look for exhaust coke marks around the up pipe gasket to the turbo. If none, check the turbo for shaft play.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

My mechanic is tryin to have me change the turbo.... says he's sure thats the problem... but i kinda didnt trust em ...thats why i consulted here first Thanx! Imma check that out!

... Ok, where is the up pipe located?

I Support ClubWRX
    Your mechanic may still be correct. (S)he has access to the car and I do not, plus they are a pro and I am not. Hopefully they're not quite right but it's possible. If/when you do check, be sure everything is cooled down (Keep the car off for hours).
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

DUB
    Quote Originally Posted by juanka View Post
    My mechanic is tryin to have me change the turbo.... says he's sure thats the problem... but i kinda didnt trust em ...
    Find a new mechanic?

Quote Originally Posted by juanka View Post
    I got a 03 WRX. It makes a loud "screaming" noise at boost... My friends describe it as a cat screaming.... what would my problem be?
    i had a similar noise on my 05 and it was a leak from my intercooler
    05 WRX Wagon *SOLD*

99 Civic SI *ITR 5 Lug-16x8 Dunlop CP-R's* *SOLD*

2010 Tacoma 6-Speed *SOLD*

2007 WRB STi