Oil recommendations and a weird clutch issue - 08 WRX

This is a discussion on Oil recommendations and a weird clutch issue - 08 WRX within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; '08 WRX Turbo No mods Climate control Short throw shifter I'm just over 2000 miles and thinking about my first ...

Oil recommendations and a weird clutch issue - 08 WRX

'08 WRX Turbo
    No mods
    Climate control
    Short throw shifter

I'm just over 2000 miles and thinking about my first and future oil changes. This is my first Subi and I don't know a lot about them. I've always used Valvoline 10W-30 or 10W-40 in all my cars (mostly Fords) and have been lucky to have no major engine issues in the 10 or so cars I've owned and maintained in my life. I used to always do my own oil changes but in the last two years I've come to use a Valvoline oil change place down the street from my work because they are actually a little less now than if I buy all the stuff myself with today's oil prices. Plus I don't have to break my back under the car. So my question is: Can I still use Valvoline 5W or 10W in my WRX and be good? Or should I rethink oil and go with something better?
    This is a new technology car for me.

The other thing is an odd clutch issue where at certain time the clutch won't slip when I release the pedal. It does nothing and then suddenly drops to full engage as if I dumped the clutch. I've never witnessed anything like it in any other car I've owned! It's been the most repeatable when I stop at the mailbox on a hill. I go up in 1st, stop, get mail, then let up the brake and roll backwards to line up with the driveway. When I release the clutch it has no resistance and then finally dumps... usually stalling.
    I've noticed this now at a few stop lights too, I know where it should engage but it just doesn't, I let it out way past that and it finally lets go, sometimes stalling if I don't watch it and keep the revs up. I don't get it. It's very intermittent though, there are days that it drives fine and I haven't noticed any difference in conditions such as weather when it acts up. Sometimes, if I'm paying attention, I notice that it will not slip, so I push it back in, rev up some more, let it out and eventually it will slip and I can lower the revs and let it out normally. I know it's a hydrolic actuated clutch, but could there be something wrong or interfering with my action on the clutch pedal? Do you think the dealer should check into this one?

I started thinking that I'm just too fast for it so I slowed down my go-from-a-stop reaction times and it seems to be more responsive without the clutch drop-out problem. But cmon, this is supposed to be a sports car right?

Any tips much appriciated, sorry for being long winded.

-Scott

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Bare minimum go with synthetic oil, it withstands the heat and extra strain the Turbo can put on oil much better then regular oil. My local subbie mechanic recommended to me to drain the oil right after getting it an putting synthetic in it, I didn't go that far, but from 3k miles on, it's been ONLY synthetic Mobile 1. Mobile one is from what I have read one of the common oils used, and so far I have had no reason to doubt its quality.

Quote Originally Posted by ScottSwan View Post
    The other thing is an odd clutch issue where at certain time the clutch won't slip when I release the pedal. It does nothing and then suddenly drops to full engage as if I dumped the clutch. I've never witnessed anything like it in any other car I've owned! It's been the most repeatable when I stop at the mailbox on a hill. I go up in 1st, stop, get mail, then let up the brake and roll backwards to line up with the driveway. When I release the clutch it has no resistance and then finally dumps... usually stalling.
    -Scott
    Just came across this when doing a search. Sounds like the hill assist - brake stays on for a second or so to help you engage the gear on a hill.

yeah..most subarus from the mid 90's have the hill-holder function....i dont have mine hooked up...but makes a world of difference when you have a car with one that is operational....