bad mpgs
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on bad mpgs within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; hey i have a stock 07 wrx and i only get 18 miles around town and 20 highway and to ...

bad mpgs

hey i have a stock 07 wrx and i only get 18 miles around town and 20 highway and to me it seems a bit low i run 93 octane at the pump and i never race or slam gears driving i shift at 4 grand any insight into whats going wrong
    i live my life a 1/4 mile at a time

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

4 grand seems really excessive. especially if its improved mpg you're looking for. personally, i shift at 2 grand and maybe a little less going in to fifth. Now granted city buses fly past me but i get mid 25-26 mpg. also one thing that ive learned when trying to raise mpg is how you apply the throttle. you really have to feather it and NOT floor it to get to your shift point. it probably takes me a little less than a mile to get to 45mph from a stop.
    Last edited by Greg G.; 09-07-2008 at 11:06 PM.

DUB
    Quote Originally Posted by Emsbuff124 View Post
    hey i have a stock 07 wrx and i only get 18 miles around town and 20 highway and to me it seems a bit low i run 93 octane at the pump and i never race or slam gears driving i shift at 4 grand any insight into whats going wrong
    There are some mechanical reasons that your mileage could drop, but I'm guessing if you just keep your right foot off the floor your fuel economy will improve.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg G. View Post
    personally, i shift at 2 grand and maybe a little less going in to fifth. Now granted city buses fly past me but i get mid 25-26 mpg. also one thing that ive learned when trying to raise mpg is how you apply the throttle. you really have to feather it and NOT floor it to get to your shift point. it probably takes me a little less than a mile to get to 45mph from a stop.
    How's the hypermiling scene?

Is in Love With the Admins Here 20WRX04's Avatar
    My DD Legacy is the same way.

Quote Originally Posted by DUB View Post
    There are some mechanical reasons that your mileage could drop, but I'm guessing if you just keep your right foot off the floor your fuel economy will improve.
    The first rule of the Faction is...DO NOT TALK ABOUT THE FACTION.
    NY GIANTS
    Hybrid Faction #19
    Blobeye Syndicate #19
    Mods

I Support ClubWRX
    Our cars run pretty rich from the factory. I get ~2mpg better after my tune when I don't play too much.

Quote Originally Posted by DUB
    +1
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Banned
    theirs no need to run 93 octane unless your car is setup for it. Your just wasting money and making your car work harder to burn that 93.

What do the different fuel octane ratings mean?

Sammich Makin' Pwincess wrxtreme06's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisp View Post
    theirs no need to run 93 octane unless your car is setup for it. Your just wasting money and making your car work harder to burn that 93.
    our cars are set up for 91 or 93.

edit//: quote directly from the link you provided

So if, for example, your car requires 92 octane and you fill 'er up with 87, the engine will "knock" and can become seriously damaged
    Last edited by wrxtreme06; 09-08-2008 at 09:32 AM.

desiree
    your friendly, neighborhood subaru girl
    abbigale : 06 impreza wrx tr: cobb stage II
    hawkeye alliance #11:11//
    wingl3ss @ll!ance #17 // lvl 80 N.E.R.D.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by wrxtreme06 View Post
    our cars are set up for 91 or 93.

edit//: quote directly from the link you provided
    do your research! they are setup for 91 not 93, therefore you are wasting money and making your engine work harder when you put 93 in his car is a stock 07 wrx with no mods. makes absolutely no sense to use 93

"However, if your car requires only 87 octane, don't bother with a higher-grade gasoline. You won't see any improved performance or mileage. same goes for 91 octane, you would be wasting money putting 93 in."
    Last edited by chrisp; 09-08-2008 at 10:54 AM.

Sammich Makin' Pwincess wrxtreme06's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    right. the owners manual recommends 91 for wrx's and 93 for sti's. however where i live, 93 is premium and its the only thing thats available. i also have the cobb stage 2 map specifically for 93 oct. what are we supposed to use?

desiree
    your friendly, neighborhood subaru girl
    abbigale : 06 impreza wrx tr: cobb stage II
    hawkeye alliance #11:11//
    wingl3ss @ll!ance #17 // lvl 80 N.E.R.D.

Your correct, where i live high test gas aka premium is 93 and the last time i cheek my owners manual they said to only use high grade
    right. the owners manual recommends 91 for wrx's and 93 for sti's. however where i live, 93 is premium and its the only thing thats available. i also have the cobb stage 2 map specifically for 93 oct. what are we supposed to use?
    i live my life a 1/4 mile at a time

Banned
    I wasnt referring to you, just the other guy. 06 sti says to use 91. when I had it protuned they said use 93. if you have a specific map then obviously use what is appropriate. I was referring to a stock 07 wrx which uses 91. obviously if you cant get anything other than 93 for some strange reason ........ use 93. just trying to say you can actually get better performance and better mileage by jumping down to 91...if it's available of course
    Last edited by chrisp; 09-08-2008 at 04:32 PM.

Banned

just trying to say you can actually get better performance and better mileage by jumping down to 91
    False. Better mileage, maybe. Better performance, no.
    NY GIANTS
    Hybrid Faction #19
    Blobeye Syndicate #19
    Mods

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by 20WRX04 View Post
    False. Better mileage, maybe. Better performance, no.
    what i should have said was that your engine wont have to work as hard and can actually run cooler. not actuall performance, my mistake

what i should have said was that your engine wont have to work as hard and can actually run cooler. not actuall performance, my mistake
    I'll let it go this time.
    NY GIANTS
    Hybrid Faction #19
    Blobeye Syndicate #19
    Mods

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.