15k or 30k mile service?

This is a discussion on 15k or 30k mile service? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I need some advice. My 05 WRX is just up to 15,000 miles and due for service, but time wise ...

15k or 30k mile service?

I need some advice. My 05 WRX is just up to 15,000 miles and due for service, but time wise it's due for the 30,000 mile service. Which should I get? The dealer said the 15k is $330 I think, and the 30k is $500. The major differences are the 30k includes plugs, coolant flush, and the maintenance book say brake fluid, but the service manager didn't mention that. So, is it worth it for the extra $170?

thanks for any advice.
    2005 PSM WRX Wagon 5MT

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Sammich Makin' Pwincess wrxtreme06's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    well, you only have 15k miles, so i'd say its only right to do the 15k service.

heres the list of stuff they do... probably things that can be done at home too- no need to fork out 300 bucks.

Replace Engine oil

Replace Engine oil filter

Inspect Disc brake pads and discs, front and rear axle boots and axle shaft joint portions

Perform Inspect brake lines and check operation of parking and service brake system

Inspect Clutch operation

Inspect Steering and suspension

Perform Rotate and Inspect Tires

desiree
    your friendly, neighborhood subaru girl
    abbigale : 06 impreza wrx tr: cobb stage II
    hawkeye alliance #11:11//
    wingl3ss @ll!ance #17 // lvl 80 N.E.R.D.

Yeah, I can't do much at home. I live in an apartment and park on the street in Chicago. I'd probably get hit.
    2005 PSM WRX Wagon 5MT

I can understand why your dealer would recommend the 30k. And not for the obvious money reasons.

You should consider fluids. Coolant, Break Fluid, and if funds avaible trans and diff. These items lose effectiveness overtime and not just miles. You do not need spark plugs until 60k however.

subaru. com/owners/schedules/index.jsp?navid=SCHEDULE_2005 <-- won't let me post as link

A good friend and master tech for SoJax Subaru also told me he usually recommends the pcv valve be replaced every 15k.

hey whats a pcv valve? im at 25k and its an 04. So whats that?

Is in Love With the Admins Here 20WRX04's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wrxtreme06 View Post
    probably things that can be done at home too- no need to fork out 300 bucks.
    +1. Do it at a friends house if you don't have room at your place.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony_montana87 View Post
    hey whats a pcv valve? im at 25k and its an 04. So whats that?
    PCV valve
    The 04+ WRXs come with a non servicable PCV valve. Do a search about them.
    The first rule of the Faction is...DO NOT TALK ABOUT THE FACTION.
    NY GIANTS
    Hybrid Faction #19
    Blobeye Syndicate #19
    Mods

It's easier to change the whole assembly. Despite Subaru stating the PCV valve is non-serviceable, its still recommended replacement by most. Just to let you know... mine was non-functional the last time it was changed.

Is in Love With the Admins Here 20WRX04's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bofslime View Post
    It's easier to change the whole assembly. Despite Subaru stating the PCV valve is non-serviceable, its still recommended replacement by most. Just to let you know... mine was non-functional the last time it was changed.
    That makes sense. So Subaru never changes them for periodic maintenance?
    Last edited by 20WRX04; 09-08-2008 at 07:32 PM.
    The first rule of the Faction is...DO NOT TALK ABOUT THE FACTION.
    NY GIANTS
    Hybrid Faction #19
    Blobeye Syndicate #19
    Mods

I'm not aware of SOA's official policy regarding it, I guess you could email them. For a $12 part, there's little reason not to do it.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by subiewagon View Post
    I need some advice. My 05 WRX is just up to 15,000 miles and due for service, but time wise it's due for the 30,000 mile service. Which should I get?
    You've answered your own question. The car needs the 30K service.

The dealer said the 15k is $330 I think, and the 30k is $500.
    That's fabulous, but I'd do it at home with friends (you'll need one to bleed the brakes anyway) and save hundreds plus have fun.

The major differences are the 30k includes plugs,
    No it doesn't.

Check the owner's "Warranty and Maintenance Booklet" supplied with the car for required items. This is a supplement to the owner's manual and at least my version has the Federal (non-CA) schedule and items list on pg. 42. Yours may vary.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.