wrx doesnt accelerate smoothly - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on wrx doesnt accelerate smoothly within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Originally Posted by thevlad Yeah, it does sound more like running over a soda can. I guess I have to ...

Admiral Ackbar the 1st mycologist's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by thevlad View Post
    Yeah, it does sound more like running over a soda can. I guess I have to flash to stage one then. Will a performance shop know what I'm talking about if I tell them to flash to stage 1?
    Your not getting wastegate flutter because you are accelerating hard over 5k rpms (wastegate is open). Wastegate flutter occurs when your wastegate is opening & closing - intermediate throttle at lower RPMs.

Detonation is a big deal on turbo cars, don't let it keep happening or you will be shopping for another motor in short order. Detonation is a primary reason why pistons blow (they melt), and your car has already done that once. Just replacing the block does not treat the cause.
    Last edited by mycologist; 09-08-2008 at 06:01 PM.
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by mycologist View Post
    Your not getting wastegate flutter because you are accelerating hard over 5k rpms (wastegate is open). Wastegate flutter occurs when your wastegate is opening & closing - intermediate throttle at lower RPMs.

Detonation is a big deal on turbo cars, don't let it keep happening or you will be shopping for another motor in short order. Detonation is a primary reason why pistons blow (they melt), and your car has already done that once. Just replacing the block does not treat the cause.
    So I guess i'm screwed. So replacing the whole engine is the only way to really fix the problem?

I Support ClubWRX
    So I guess i'm screwed. So replacing the whole engine is the only way to really fix the problem?
    That's not really we he is saying. What he said was:

1) It's not waste gate flutter because you said it happens over 5k rpm.

2) If it is detonation you are having and you don't fix it' ... you will likely end up replacing your engine.

At this point you may want to consider taking it to a professional to looked at it. Preferably somebody that tunes/works on Subarus
    -The J
    New Members, CLICK & BOOKMARK these links:

"Driving most supercars is like trying to manhandle a cow up a back staircase. . . This is like smearing honey into Keira Knightly" -JC

I Support ClubWRX
    Start with the basics -

Log the car (get ecuexplorer from romraider.com & a compatible cable).

Inspect & clean MAF (also remove &replace any non-stock intake)

Make sure you have no air leaks in the intake tract before the turbo.

Remove the intercooler and see if there is a bunch of oil pouring out (a few drips is ok).

Injector cleaner, maybe seafoam.

Pull the plugs - check for fouling and look for little beads of metal stuck to the electrode with a magnifying glass (deposits from your piston material if it is melting).

Consider getting a protune.

Edit: also check the fuel filter
    Last edited by mycologist; 09-09-2008 at 09:50 AM.

i put in a bottle of octane booster in the gas and the spark/crackle noise stopped but the acceleration is still not smooth. I'm still gonna to get it checked out though.

Is in Love With the Admins Here 20WRX04's Avatar
    Will a performance shop know what I'm talking about if I tell them to flash to stage 1?
    Probably not. Unless they are proficient in Subaru tuning.
    I'm still gonna to get it checked out though.
    Good idea. It doesn't sound like good things are going on in there.
    The first rule of the Faction is...DO NOT TALK ABOUT THE FACTION.
    NY GIANTS
    Hybrid Faction #19
    Blobeye Syndicate #19
    Mods

I Support ClubWRX
    i put in a bottle of octane booster in the gas and the spark/crackle noise stopped but the acceleration is still not smooth. I'm still gonna to get it checked out though.
    I think your car may have a leftover tune for some previous mods that were removed for the sale. You may just need to flash an OTS stage I map and you can do this yourself (Cobb AP or Romraider). A reputable protuner could probably sort it out for you. If you post what area you are in someone may be able to recommend one.

Good Luck.

just needed a tune
    Last edited by thevlad; 09-18-2008 at 07:56 PM. Reason: ya

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.