2002 Impreza turbo need major help.

This is a discussion on 2002 Impreza turbo need major help. within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hi I have a 2002 Impreza with 100k miles. The car had a crack in the plastic neck of the ...

2002 Impreza turbo need major help.

Hi I have a 2002 Impreza with 100k miles. The car had a crack in the plastic neck of the radiator and began to overheat. I didnt notice it until it had been in the red for some time. The fluids are fine (in their proper place) and the only problem seems to be the radiator/thermostat. The turbo is frozen and not making any boost. The car runs but I was thinking of doing an overhaul.

I need your help on the best course of action to do with the car. Power upgrades would be nice but $ is a small issue. I want the car to be fun and reliable again. I have just under 3,000$ to do this.

Motor swap? rebuild? what are my options?

Thanks for your input.
    Last edited by atrain; 09-04-2008 at 09:37 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

probably a used WRX motor would be your best bet. It will take some work though. You'll need to bring over the WRX ECU. I think you could do it for 3000 depending on how much work you like to do yourself.

With 100k miles and who knows what damage done to your engine from seriously overheating, you'd be best with a fresh(semi-fresh)
    motor.

Also just pick up a used TD04 for cheap. Then you'll have a responsive, fairly quick car.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by atrain View Post
    The fluids are fine (in their proper place) and the only problem seems to be the radiator/thermostat. The turbo is frozen and not making any boost.
    So you've replaced the radiator? What does "frozen" mean with respect to the turbo? Is it seized? How do you know -- have you driven the car around and it failed to make boost? Is the car smoking?

If the motor is fine, and you've replaced the radiator and both hoses, see if you need a new turbo. If so, buy a used unit and install it.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.