intermittent battery light
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on intermittent battery light within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; My wrx has been exhibiting some strange behavior recently. The brake light and battery light will flash on/off momentarly. When ...

Smile intermittent battery light

My wrx has been exhibiting some strange behavior recently. The brake light and battery light will flash on/off momentarly. When the two lights are on, the running lights will go off. The alternater is charging OK even when the instrument light is on. Any thoughts?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    My first thought would actually be faulty alternator. How do you know the alternator is OK?
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Quote Originally Posted by dblrz1 View Post
    My wrx has been exhibiting some strange behavior recently. The brake light and battery light will flash on/off momentarly. When the two lights are on, the running lights will go off. The alternater is charging OK even when the instrument light is on. Any thoughts?

I measure the battery voltage. With the light on, it still reads 15V

Okay,

That doesn't mean the alternator is working.

All the 15V on the battery means is that the battery is good. Your car runs off of the alternator after the car has started, and the alternator charges the battery.

Take the negative cable off of the battery (the one from the alternator), and if your car stays running, your alternator is prolly good, if it stalls, get a new alternator.

Problem solved.
    Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm.
    - Winston Churchill

Ah, the patter of little feet around the house. There's nothing like having a midget for a butler.

I am free of all prejudices. I hate everyone equally.
    - W.C. Fields

Well, I checked the voltage with the car running, then again when the ignition is off. Batteries that I have measured rarely exceed 12.7 V.

Intermitent Light uppdate

I have eliminated the alternater. Something else is causing the battery and hand brake light to come on. Anyone else experience this? When the battery/brake lite come one, the running lights will go off.

Quote Originally Posted by dblrz1 View Post
    I have eliminated the alternater. Something else is causing the battery and hand brake light to come on. Anyone else experience this? When the battery/brake lite come one, the running lights will go off.
    This is awesome! There are so many posts talking about the same stituation! I have only owned the car for two days and have had this problem! I replaced the battery with an optima red, and also replaced the alternator! I still have both warninglights come on while driving and my headlights turn off? its an awesome thing to have happpen in traffic on the I-5 during rush hour! I can't wait until tommorrows commute!!!!!

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.