04 Subaru WRX STI Problems

This is a discussion on 04 Subaru WRX STI Problems within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; First off, I recently baught a 04 WRX STI from a close friend who I know is not trying to ...

04 Subaru WRX STI Problems

First off, I recently baught a 04 WRX STI from a close friend who I know is not trying to screw me over. I am a new owner and know very little about these cars. I have a FMIC, HKS BOV, and Greedy boost controler as aftermarket parts. The car is running stock turbo which has about 2000 miles on it. That being said here are my problems.

While running the car I have the cruse button flashing and it cannot be turned off. When my turbo spools it has a problem and I hear a high whooshing sound to it, there is a vaccum that I can see occuring but no boost is going into the engine it seems.

Eventually, after awhile driving, the car will get rev limited and not go over 3000 RPM when I apply throttle.

Anyone possibly know my problem? I really don't have the money to take it anywhere but have some friends that work on cars. I want to have a general idea as to what is happening if possible.

Thanks for helping in advance.
    Last edited by Dim3s; 09-02-2008 at 10:15 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I truly hope someone can help me with this

take the FM off and the blowoff off. The cruse light means to much boost. UR car might be in limp mode. And smack ur x friend he is a butt

Is in Love With the Admins Here 20WRX04's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dim3s View Post
    First off, I recently baught a 04 WRX STI from a close friend who I know is not trying to screw me over. I am a new owner and know very little about these cars. I have a FMIC, HKS BOV, and Greedy boost controler as aftermarket parts. The car is running stock turbo which has about 2000 miles on it. That being said here are my problems.

While running the car I have the cruse button flashing and it cannot be turned off. When my turbo spools it has a problem and I hear a high whooshing sound to it, there is a vaccum that I can see occuring but no boost is going into the engine it seems.

Eventually, after awhile driving, the car will get rev limited and not go over 3000 RPM when I apply throttle.

Anyone possibly know my problem? I really don't have the money to take it anywhere but have some friends that work on cars. I want to have a general idea as to what is happening if possible.

Thanks for helping in advance.
    Get rid of the BOV & get a stock BPV(bypass valve). Search & read about them both. Get rid of the Greddy boost controller as well. Search & find out why you don't need one. You need to pull the CEL(check engine light) codes to give you more of a clue where to start.

Why does the stock turbo only have 2000 miles on it? What kind of EM(engine management) are you running?

Do a search for limp mode. There is A LOT of great info on this site. I suggest spending some time to get to know your vehicle a little better. Subarus aren't your typical import car. They can be very complex to the novice owner. Welcome & enjoy.

+2 for smacking your friend.
    Last edited by 20WRX04; 09-02-2008 at 10:28 PM.
    The first rule of the Faction is...DO NOT TALK ABOUT THE FACTION.
    NY GIANTS
    Hybrid Faction #19
    Blobeye Syndicate #19
    Mods

Sorry for the late response but I haven't been on the site in a long time. I just wanted to update incase anyone else ever had these problems. All problems are fixed up now from a guy over at Stay Tuned in Waukesha named Bill, he was a great help. I'd suggest anyone go over to him if they ever need help with similar issues.

First, the car needed a new catalytic converter. Thats why none of the power was getting out because it ran to rich and ate through the old borla exhaust. The piggyback on the car was set way to rich and it ended up hurting itself. I bumped up to a turbo xs exhaust and a 4" downpipe.

After the catalytic converter I bumped back up to a 18g(old turbo on the car that blew because of a constricted oil line) so the car is just about perfect between lean and rich. I got rid of the black smoke I was getting ( I origionally didn't post about that I don't believe.)

Yay Subaru is back

Quote Originally Posted by Dim3s View Post
    Sorry for the late response but I haven't been on the site in a long time. I just wanted to update incase anyone else ever had these problems. All problems are fixed up now from a guy over at Stay Tuned in Waukesha named Bill, he was a great help. I'd suggest anyone go over to him if they ever need help with similar issues.

First, the car needed a new catalytic converter. Thats why none of the power was getting out because it ran to rich and ate through the old borla exhaust. The piggyback on the car was set way to rich and it ended up hurting itself. I bumped up to a turbo xs exhaust and a 4" downpipe.

After the catalytic converter I bumped back up to a 18g(old turbo on the car that blew because of a constricted oil line) so the car is just about perfect between lean and rich. I got rid of the black smoke I was getting ( I origionally didn't post about that I don't believe.)

Yay Subaru is back
    good to hear that you car is running fine now

Is in Love With the Admins Here 20WRX04's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CooKie_MonSteR View Post
    good to hear that you car is running fine now
    +1. You treat her right & she'll treat you right. Congrats & enjoy!
    The first rule of the Faction is...DO NOT TALK ABOUT THE FACTION.
    NY GIANTS
    Hybrid Faction #19
    Blobeye Syndicate #19
    Mods

More I left out.

The misfire was caused by a bad tumble generator valve aswell.

( chip had a blown or something)