rough idling, lots of work just done on car, no CEL

This is a discussion on rough idling, lots of work just done on car, no CEL within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; New to the forum. I searched and didnt see anything that was exactly my problem, so here it is. So ...

rough idling, lots of work just done on car, no CEL

New to the forum. I searched and didnt see anything that was exactly my problem, so here it is.

So i have an 03 wrx with 121K on it. I have never had any issues (minus a couple of run ins with the guard rails at low speeds, but they have not done any engine damage). At 120K, my car overheated, radiator cap flew off, water pump went out, and then somehow the #4 cam misfired. I had just replaced all the fluids, some of the hoses. The O2 sensor was replaced. Timing belt was theoretically replaced at 105K. They also did the clutch while the had it out.

Everything was running great for a week, and then #4 misfired again. I cleared the code, just to see if it would happen again, and it did, so I brought it back and they replaced the spring. Engine purred like a kitten. Now 600 miles later, after driving really cautiously, I was going uphill at about 7,000Ft and it seemed to lose power. When i stopped, it was idling really rough, kind of like it was only running on 2 or 3 cylinders but the CEL didn't come on. I shut the car off, and waited a couple of minutes. Turned it back on, and it still idled rough, but it was staying at around 750rpm. Engine was visibly shaking.

At around 1300rpm, it seems to even out, and the turbo seems to boost fine, but it doesn't have the power. There is no CEL that has come one yet.

What to do?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

anyone?

I Support ClubWRX
    List all your mods.Check the spark plugs and check for a boost leak or preturbo intake leak.Also check your oil and see if it looks atlittle tannish.
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

no mods. oil looks fine. i am not really very good at the car mechanics thing... i have no idea how I would test for boost leaks or anything like that.

Is in Love With the Admins Here 20WRX04's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dobish View Post
    At 120K, my car overheated, radiator cap flew off, water pump went out, and then somehow the #4 cam misfired.
    That's not a good thing & I would start there. Maybe a head gasket or warped head issue?
    The first rule of the Faction is...DO NOT TALK ABOUT THE FACTION.
    NY GIANTS
    Hybrid Faction #19
    Blobeye Syndicate #19
    Mods

Quote Originally Posted by 20WRX04 View Post
    That's not a good thing & I would start there. Maybe a head gasket or warped head issue?
    it was a head gasket issue. I had that replaced, all the seals replaced, along with the water pump. I am hoping that it is not the head gasket again... because it has only been 1000 miles since they fixed it.

Is in Love With the Admins Here 20WRX04's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dobish View Post
    it was a head gasket issue. I had that replaced, all the seals replaced, along with the water pump. I am hoping that it is not the head gasket again... because it has only been 1000 miles since they fixed it.
    Did they check the heads to see if they were warped?
    The first rule of the Faction is...DO NOT TALK ABOUT THE FACTION.
    NY GIANTS
    Hybrid Faction #19
    Blobeye Syndicate #19
    Mods

they told me they did... it didn't really have any problems until i took it up to the mountains.