Sucked Water Through Intake Need Help

This is a discussion on Sucked Water Through Intake Need Help within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; At the beginning of the week there was a bad storm. I have an Injen cold air intake on the ...

Sucked Water Through Intake Need Help

At the beginning of the week there was a bad storm. I have an Injen cold air intake on the car which sits in the passenger side wheel well. i hit some big puddles and the car would spudder and cough and then die. this happened three times on my way home. the CEL came on the first time and remained on. The next day i changed the oil and checked the codes. i got a AFS and miss-fire on all cylinders. i cleared the codes and continued driving the car. the CEL came on that day but the car still ran pretty well except for a small slight loss of power and slightly rough idle (shaking like it wasnt firing well.) The next day on my way home The car made a pop/thud/ some ugly noise. and then white smoke was pouring out of the exhaust. i was able to make it into my parking lot and shut the car off immediately. i checked the oil and coolant to ensure neither had mixed. the only thing i could find was oil comeing from the tail pipe and leaking between the turbo and downpipe and i was mayb a half quart low on oil. Has this happened to anyone? please send me all suggestions. Thanks!
    Chris
    cwhill44@yahoo.com

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

sorry to hear it bro and i wish i could help but that is why im rockin the short ram air lol

I Support ClubWRX
    Oil and water only mix when you blow a head gasket generally.Get a compression and/or leakdown test done.Next the turbo will probably need to be pulled and checked.
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

yeah, the first thing i did was take a reciprocating saw to that thing and relocate the air filter in the engine bay! well if the turbo is suspect where would you guys recomend having it checked or would you say that it will be obvious at this point?

If you sucked water into the engine, you should at least pull all of your plugs and crank it for fifteen or twenty seconds to try to make sure that there isn't any water in there. Then leave your plugs out for a few hours and let any moisture evaporate. Most likely you will need to replace your plugs too.

I Support ClubWRX
    I'm afraid my friend you may very well have just learned a very expensive engine blowing lesson. CAI's are notorious for sucking in water in wet weather and grenading engines. For this reason AEM developed their CAI bypass valve.

Foam thingy here

That way when the filter sucks in water and creates a vacuum, air gets sucked through the BPV instead of drinking water.

I replaced an engine in an acura integra for a customer that had suffered a similar fate.

Hopefully you just damaged the bottom end and can reuse your heads for the engine build.

To help Diagnose:

A compression test is the easiest.

Also visually inspect the block for holes (don't laugh the kid in the acura couldn't find it, but I could stick my hand into is bottom end from the engine bay).
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

06 WRX, HAWKEYE # 001 <T-boned and sold>

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

DUB
    Quote Originally Posted by 06wrx4me View Post
    I replaced an engine in an acura integra for a customer...
    I thought you worked for caltrans?

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by DUB View Post
    I thought you worked for caltrans?

I do. I replaced the engine as a side job when I was in college. I used to do auto repair on the side for $$$ while I was in school.
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

06 WRX, HAWKEYE # 001 <T-boned and sold>

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

Quote Originally Posted by 06wrx4me View Post
    Foam thingy here

I'm pretty sure those foam things are NOT recommended for turbo cars as you run a higher risk of sucking it into the turbo and causing a slew of problems. Run a short ram and avoid this crap all together

Let's us know the results of your compression test.
    Last edited by Very-Rexy; 09-03-2008 at 11:32 PM.
    06 WRX - Deadbolt Zilla 20g 365AWHP//358AWTQ//TopSpeed
    STi Drivetrain installed by CRE
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #54
    My mod list