Check Engine Light Flashing Cruise
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Check Engine Light Flashing Cruise within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Scenario: Started car this AM, ran fine, went shopping. After shopping, started car and check engine light came on w/ ...

Check Engine Light Flashing Cruise

Scenario:
    Started car this AM, ran fine, went shopping. After shopping, started car and check engine light came on w/ flashing cruise. turned car off, let sit for 5 min or so turned back on same thing, CEL w/ flashing cruise. Drove home 50 miles straight to the dealer, car ran fine the whole way home. Got to the dealer turned the car off and went inside. They told me to come back around 1:30 because they were busy. Since I'm local I said ok and went back to my car to drive home. This time I started the car and no lights came on, car still runs fine. Got home, turned car off waited 5 min or so again and turned it back on w/ no lights coming on.

Back to normal?

I'm supposed to be going out of town this weekend...should I still bring the car in to get looked at or is it pointless since no CEL is on and the car runs fine.

2006 wrx wagon completely stock, done all regular maintenance at Subaru, 35K tune-up/oil change done 2 weeks ago.

Any of you experienced this glitch before? Thanks in advanced for any info.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

all i can tell ya is that I believe when the CEL comes on for any reason it disables the Cruise Control so that is why your Cruise Light is flashing....

The CEL flashing and the cruise flashing is a bad thing. It signals some sort of misfire or knock condition. Take the care immediately to AutoZone or some other parts store to get the code read. Just because the lights not on anymore doesn't mean that the code is gone from the computer. Once you have the trouble code, post it back up here and we'll go from there.
    FYI - the cruise light flashing doesn't mean that it's disabled.
    Try not, do or do not. There is no try. - Yoda
    Mods

SRM
    Quote Originally Posted by psychobooe View Post
    The CEL flashing and the cruise flashing is a bad thing. It signals some sort of misfire or knock condition. Take the care immediately to AutoZone or some other parts store to get the code read. Just because the lights not on anymore doesn't mean that the code is gone from the computer. Once you have the trouble code, post it back up here and we'll go from there.
    FYI - the cruise light flashing doesn't mean that it's disabled.
    I believe he said the CEL was on but NOT flashing. A steady CEL on and flashing cruise indicates something is wrong emissions-related. Normally this is not a serious thing.

Since the light is now off I would not worry about bringing is back to the dealer.
    Mine: 2010 Camaro 2SS RS
    Hers: 2010 Wrangler Sahara

Previous cars: 2000 Z28, 2007 WRX TR

i hope im not hijacking here guys...
    anyway i have the same problem...
    on saturday i drove my car changing at 5500rmp 1st to 3rd then noticed the engine light stayed on and cruise light flashing

car is going fine but those lights are bothering me.car is parked off since then
    He who knows everything, learns nutting

Either way, I'd get the code read at an AutoZone just to put my mind at ease.
    Try not, do or do not. There is no try. - Yoda
    Mods

SRM
    Quote Originally Posted by H82LOOSE-ZN View Post
    i hope im not hijacking here guys...
    anyway i have the same problem...
    on saturday i drove my car changing at 5500rmp 1st to 3rd then noticed the engine light stayed on and cruise light flashing

car is going fine but those lights are bothering me.car is parked off since then
    If your car is running the same keep on driving it. But definitely call the dealer. It could be a check-valve (not sure of the subie term), bad catalytic converter, etc.

My wife's car threw 3 codes but the part had to be ordered. So we had to drive her car around for 3 weeks with the annoying cruise control light flashing.
    Mine: 2010 Camaro 2SS RS
    Hers: 2010 Wrangler Sahara

Previous cars: 2000 Z28, 2007 WRX TR

Thanks

Thank you all for the advice you gave. SRM is correct, the CEL is on but NOT flashing while the cruise IS flashing.

Anyhow, since the lights went off after I went to the dealer (to inquire about having them check it...They were busy) and the car seemed to be running fine I decided to take a chance and go on my Labor Day trip. Went to Napa through some twisties and the car ran fine. On my way home I stopped off at a winery to pick up a couple bottles, when I come back out and get ready to leave, I start the car and the lights come on again. Drove all the way home (70mi) and the car ran fine to redline. so tomorrow I have an apt at Subaru...hope it goes well and doesn't cost me too much.

I stripped my intercooler out last nite and checked all plugs...sprayed q20 and clipped them back..
    found one plug loose...its located above the starter and leads to the plastic turbo thingy next to the batery..
    i then rest ecu and problem is gone..
    He who knows everything, learns nutting

I had same problem, CEL steady, Cruise flashing
    and I'm totally stock mind you, first owner.

reset ECU and light went off (at least up until now).

btw psychobooe, does your local autozone still do free OBDII checks? I'm in cali and they say they don't anymore.
    --Justin

Hawk-Eye Alliance #128

Failed O2 Sensor

Just got my car back from the dealer, replaced faulty O2 sensor...problem solved. No cost to me under the 3yr/50K mi. emissions warranty.

Quote Originally Posted by Pactin View Post
    I had same problem, CEL steady, Cruise flashing
    and I'm totally stock mind you, first owner.

reset ECU and light went off (at least up until now).

btw psychobooe, does your local autozone still do free OBDII checks? I'm in cali and they say they don't anymore.
    Ours in Oregon don't do it anymore, and that pisses me off. I told them I would take my business elsewhere, but NAPA, Schmucks, and the other auto parts places don't do it anymore either. >_<

you can always go to a schucks and rent a scanner, usually they'll just take your drivers license for a deposit or you might have to put some money down but you get it all back when you return it.

Exclamation Help!!!,..

i changed the stock downpipe and midpipe on my 2007 wrx, replaced it with a single ap racing pipe it fit nice and sounds nice too,.. anyways later that night I was drving home about 80mph in 5th gear and downshifted for a sec,then back to 5th and the same thing happened the CEL turned on with the flashing cruise light,... i heard the first thing you should check is the 02 sensor,.. except i dont know how to properly check it or turn off the 02 senor or the cel or blinking cruise.. wat should I do? and i'm sure i voided the warrenty putting on the new pipe,.. so cant go to the dealer cause they'll really void it if they see it. i could take it off and place the stock back on if i must go to the dealer but i'm hoping i dont need to

Autozone does not offer the code readers anymore. My work truck had a CEL come on so i figure take it down there and read the code myslef and they said we cant offer them anymore because mechanics were saying that makes it to easy for us to fix our cars.
    When you do things right people wont be sure you've done anything at all.

Crabcakes and football thats what Maryland does.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.