TMIC Damage - Why? - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on TMIC Damage - Why? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Originally Posted by pzr2874 do you take your car to the carwash ... ? High pressure water could be the ...

Quote Originally Posted by pzr2874 View Post
    do you take your car to the carwash ... ? High pressure water could be the culprit
    +1...
    '02 WRX 4EAT, 311,000KMs/194,500Miles, Sold. Best car I ever had. '09 STi stage 1, hope this one will be good too...

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Will this noticeably affect the running of the car?

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil Toast View Post
    It's the stock IC. There is a thin layer of dust inside the scoop which remains undisturbed, so I don't believe that someone has poked their hand inside. Maybe I should check for paw prints as well.

I was thinking heat, but if that's not a known issue then maybe the service technician has placed something on it. I never thought of that before. My dealership described it as "normal", which I don't buy. Unless it's caused by my cats I am expecting them to replace it, but I have a feeling they are not going to agree.

Edit: My car wash sprays vertically down so it doesn't touch the TMIC. So is that it then, it's either vandalism, a soon-to-be-locked-in-the-litter-room cat or a Subaru mechanic?

Forgive me, but huh?
    Well, it's not normal. Can your cat fit between your IC and hood? If so then that COULD be it, but I would think that the fins would be bent in different directions. I dunno.
    "Never Launched"
    Dougie
    - Founder, 250,000 mile club
    -5,000 posts

Something heavy was placed on there and slid towards the passenger side. There's no other way that much damage happened.

And yes that will significantly affect the performance of the IC. You're severely restricting airflow.
    Last edited by teflon_jones; 08-29-2008 at 11:25 AM.
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

Quote Originally Posted by timber View Post
    Well, it's not normal. Can your cat fit between your IC and hood? If so then that COULD be it, but I would think that the fins would be bent in different directions. I dunno.
    I don't believe it's a cat either, for the same reasons.

Thanks for the quick repsonses, I'll take it back to Subaru next week. It's reassuring to know that it isn't right, and the layer of dust inside the scoop should show that it's neither a prank nor the cats.

Just take a small screwdriver, tweezers and straiten them out...You don't want to pay the dealer for that... And it must be done to allow airflow through the IC.
    '02 WRX 4EAT, 311,000KMs/194,500Miles, Sold. Best car I ever had. '09 STi stage 1, hope this one will be good too...

Quote Originally Posted by wrxdrvr View Post
    Just take a small screwdriver, tweezers and straiten them out...You don't want to pay the dealer for that... And it must be done to allow airflow through the IC.
    It's only a few months old - if this was caused by Subaru then it should be a warranty replacement. If they will not cover it then I'll do that.

i agree with the high pressure water being the culprit...
    u can clearly see a pattern and all the fins are bent the same exact way

it's neither a prank nor the cats.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails wrx_HoodScoop.jpg  
    The fast and the "Yeah right!"
    Blobeye #60
    2004 WRX STi Java Black Swirl
    2004 WRX san remo wingless sold
    99 Impreza 'L' grocery getter sold

csm
    mine isn't that bad actually.
    I'd shoot the cat to be safe. but then again, I'd shoot it anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by ZACK777 View Post
    Somebody fingered your IC dude
    This message printed on 100% recycled electrons.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex View Post
    Somebody was running their fingers across it for fun.
    Agreed.
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

It's only a few months old - if this was caused by Subaru then it should be a warranty replacement. If they will not cover it then I'll do that.
    Yes if they agree they washed the engine compartment and did that with the sprayer then they should fix it...But somehow I doubt that they will admit that they were responsible, So you will end up spending an hour or two picking out and straitening the fins.

Registered User JUSTINSNUTSWINGER's Avatar
    $hit, that's going to take all damn day.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.