02 wrx runs very rough, revvs very slow, smells like gas, any suggestions?

This is a discussion on 02 wrx runs very rough, revvs very slow, smells like gas, any suggestions? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; ok, i just picked up this 02 wrx, guy said it has been sitting for nearly a year so the ...

02 wrx runs very rough, revvs very slow, smells like gas, any suggestions?

ok, i just picked up this 02 wrx, guy said it has been sitting for nearly a year so the gas is bad, but it still runs. when you start it it idles very rough, pretty much shakes the whole car, if you bring it up to about 1500-2000 rpms, its runs very smooth. but it revvs really slow, even in neutral, if you try to drive it it is way worse. also, within seconds of starting it you can smell tons of gas. i saw the sticky on the leaky gas lines and im about to go check for that, but its warm out and that says that happens in the cold mostly. also, if i start it and try to rev it, after about 15-20 seconds it will throw an engine code. is there any shops that rent code readers? any suggestions on what to check for? thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Possbily he took off the cats and tuned it... and now it's running extra rich? Or it might still have the cats but be running extra rich, could be the O2 sensor.

ok, sorry a little info on the car may have helped, it has a turbo back bpm exhaust and greddy header, also has k&n typhoon air intake.

also, i just went and rented a obd2 and it says that cylinders 1 and 3 are misfiring, where do i start in trying to fix that? it also siad there was no engine light on when there was. sorry if these are dumb questions, this is my first import so i am very new to it, thanks

ok, well last night i was going over this in my head, and remembered the previous owner said he had just changed the spark plugs, and it turns out, he must have put the plugs back in the wrong order, switched em up and now it runs way better

Quote Originally Posted by csimp3 View Post
    ok, well last night i was going over this in my head, and remembered the previous owner said he had just changed the spark plugs, and it turns out, he must have put the plugs back in the wrong order, switched em up and now it runs way better
    plugs in the wrong order? It doesn't mater what order the plugs are installed. On other cars the plug wire order important, but the WRX doesn't have plug wires, it has a coil pack on each cylinder.

So does the car have Cats?
    Any other modifications (besides full exhaust and intake?) Does it have an aftermarket BOV?

Do you know if the previous owner had it tuned using a Cobb AccessPort? (I'm thinking he did, then unmarried it and sold it separately, without demoding the rest of the car)

Did you get the stock parts? (Header, downpipe, intake)

yeah, the coil packs were on the wrong plugs, sorry, thats what i meant to say