Installing new clutch

This is a discussion on Installing new clutch within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; How difficult is it going to be to put a new clutch in a 02 WRX? I've got all the ...

Installing new clutch

How difficult is it going to be to put a new clutch in a 02 WRX? I've got all the common tools, but don't know if there is a specialty tool that I will need. Any suggestions from past experience? I'm looking to do this soon, and don't really want to have to pay someone to do it. My only problem is that I've never replaced a clutch before.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Replacing the clutch is fairly straightforward. You're going to need more than just basic tools though. I would make sure you have another car available while you're doing it to make runs to a store to buy the tools you don't have. Here's the general procedure for replacing the clutch:
    1. Jack up and block car.
    2. Hang engine from engine lift.
    3. Disconnect many of the things that connect to the engine. Basically anything that's really tight and won't allow you to move the engine. This isn't always necessary but can make your life much easier in getting the tranny out.
    4. Undo engine mounts and suspend engine.
    5. Disconnect speedo cable from tranny.
    6. Put tranny lift or dolly under tranny.
    7. Disconnect tranny from engine and remove.
    8. Remove and replace clutch plates.
    9. Put it all back together.
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

I've got an engine lift, car lift and air tools as well. I was curious if there was a specialty tool used only on subies that I would have to buy/rent to do the swap.
    Thanks

no real (speacialty tools) u may need to use a flat screwdriver or chisle to seperate the engine and tranny bc of corrosion between the engine and tranny.