jack up my car to change oil?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on jack up my car to change oil? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; My car is too low to fit a pan underneath to catch the oil, let alone get the drain plug ...

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX

jack up my car to change oil?

My car is too low to fit a pan underneath to catch the oil, let alone get the drain plug and filter off. So what if I jack it up on one side? If I remember correctly the plug is on the passenger side, so I would jack up the driver's side to make sure it all gets out of the pan. I could even let it down a little while draining so it doesn't get trapped in the engine anywhere.

I tried taking it to an oil change place, but it's too low to go over the pit. Plus I would rather not have them messing around down there anyways.

You guys think this will work okay?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

The trick is to jack up your car then use these

Harbor Freight Tools - Jack Stands.

Yeah.. I would if I had some here.. but I don't. Hopefully I don't end up trapped under my car and suffocate tomorrow morning.

I've never had a problem with the car moving on the scissor jack tho.

Quote Originally Posted by MainFrame View Post
    Hopefully I don't end up trapped under my car and suffocate tomorrow morning.

I've never had a problem with the car moving on the scissor jack tho.
    this is a darwin award in the making.
    "90 miles an hour through trees sideways is pretty damn scary" ~Ken Block

DUB
    Invest in a decent jack and jack stands. You can pick up a combo for like $50. Your life > $50.

Or climb under the car supported by the emergency OE jack, I don't care, it wont be me being gruesomely crushed to death.

The thing is, I live in an apartment with limited space, and I'm on a limited budget. I have jackstands at my parent's house, where I usually work on my car, but that's 100 miles away. Plus most of the time I use my jack I'm taking a wheel off, and I place it under the side of the car if I'm crawling underneath.

What I really need is a hydrolic floor jack, or better yet, two of them.

I guess I could call my mechanic and see if he minds letting me use the lift to change my oil.. and maybe he could help me troubleshoot my boost problems while I'm at it.

Quote Originally Posted by mainframe View Post

i guess i could call my mechanic and see if he minds letting me use the lift to change my oil..
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
    Careful, I still think she's packin wang.

Quote Originally Posted by ajd111 View Post
    +1
    +2

Using the jack that comes with the car is NOT recommended for people going under the car, that's really quite dangerous.

Or you could just have your shop do the oil change, the Meineke down the road from me does it for $15.99.

The shop is a 40 minute drive.. but it does sound more appealing than being crushed to death.

I Support ClubWRX
    I'm not going to hastily come out against being crushed to death without having tried it. However, since you're not keen on the idea, what you might consider is to simply drive a single front wheel onto a driveway then lengthwise until one side of the nose is on a sidewalk ridge and the other is on the road. This will give you both elevation and an incline. Be careful not to scrape and not to get too close to the edge with your wheel; you don't want to go off and damage anything.

Another idea: Find two cinder blocks and two bricks. Use the stock jack to lift a front wheel onto the cinder block. Repeat on the other side. Use the bricks to chock the rear wheels, pull the hand brake and leave the car in gear. Now the nose is up in the air, you're not relying on the jack, and at least theoretically the car is going nowhere -- plus, let's face it, putting a car up on cinder blocks is pure class.
    Last edited by SD_GR; 08-22-2008 at 12:18 AM.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    I'm not going to hastily come out against being crushed to death without having tried it.
    "90 miles an hour through trees sideways is pretty damn scary" ~Ken Block

DUB
    Great post, SD.

I was gonna suggest the drive-up-on-curb technique as well. But I'm thinking if its too low do get an oil drip pan underneath or even to drive over the pit at the local qwik lube, he may have trouble driving up on the curb.

I Support ClubWRX
    If it's too low for a sideways curb crawl then the cinder blocks are an option as long as they're done safely.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I guess if I can't get a hold of my mechanic in the morning then I'll look for a curb to drive up on.. I'll keep everybody posted. If I don't show up back here tomorrow, then you'll know what happened.

Car falls off jack, crushes local man | Oakland Tribune | Find Articles at BNET

DUB
    Quote Originally Posted by MainFrame View Post
    I guess if I can't get a hold of my mechanic in the morning then I'll look for a curb to drive up on.. I'll keep everybody posted. If I don't show up back here tomorrow, then you'll know what happened.

Car falls off jack, crushes local man | Oakland Tribune | Find Articles at BNET
    OMG! Is that news from the future?

Seriously though, did you google "car falls jack crushed death" in the context of your own situation? What, did you want to see if there was any instances of said crushing to death in the public record?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast