jack up my car to change oil? - Page 3
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

This is a discussion on jack up my car to change oil? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; while were sort of on the topic... climb ramp in reverse or straight forward. Does the car need to be ...

while were sort of on the topic... climb ramp in reverse or straight forward.

Does the car need to be leveled? If so, I can face my car downslope and go up my ramp so there will be a \/ in the middle of my car....

Hawk-Eye Alliance#8089
    MODS LIST

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Acrdys View Post
    while were sort of on the topic... climb ramp in reverse or straight forward.

Does the car need to be leveled? If so, I can face my car downslope and go up my ramp so there will be a \/ in the middle of my car....

It doesn't need to be leveled, although I would like to raise the front about an inch. But I don't want to have to get it realigned, so I'm probably not going to do that for a while.

Climbing the ramp backwards wouldn't help any, since the oil pan is in the front..

And I have no idea what you're saying about a "\/" in the middle of the car? The body of my car doesn't flex in the middle.

Quote Originally Posted by MainFrame View Post
    It doesn't need to be leveled, although I would like to raise the front about an inch. But I don't want to have to get it realigned, so I'm probably not going to do that for a while.

Climbing the ramp backwards wouldn't help any, since the oil pan is in the front..

And I have no idea what you're saying about a "\/" in the middle of the car? The body of my car doesn't flex in the middle.
    hehe sorry... the V thing is like the ground clearance below my car .... maan nvm, I just noticed ... i feel stupid now
    Hawk-Eye Alliance#8089
    MODS LIST

DUB
    Quote Originally Posted by Acrdys View Post
    hehe sorry... the V thing is like the ground clearance below my car .... maan nvm, I just noticed ... i feel stupid now
    I got what you meant. Face the car downhill. Drive it up on ramps. The nose was facing down, then it came up on the ramps, resulting in the car being level over all.

The tiny amount of oil that remains from draining it out with the front end raised is insignificant.

Quote Originally Posted by DUB View Post
    I got what you meant. Face the car downhill. Drive it up on ramps. The nose was facing down, then it came up on the ramps, resulting in the car being level over all.

The tiny amount of oil that remains from draining it out with the front end raised is insignificant.

Ahh.. okay, I see what he's saying, duh. But I would still need boards and stuff to get it up onto the ramps.

Anyways, it looks like without going out and actually buying some real tools, I'm not going to be able to get the drain plug off.. Why oh why didn't I get that fumoto like six years ago. That would have made my life a lot easier.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by MainFrame View Post
    Why oh why didn't I get that fumoto like six years ago. That would have made my life a lot easier.
    Is the chassis itself stock ride height? If so, OK on the Fumoto. If the chassis itself is lowered -- that is, if your apparent clearance problems are not solely due to body work like a lip etc. -- I'd have a close look at how the valve fits and how low its tip will be, plus what kind of driving I do before deciding on the valve. In either case I'd either buy one of their add-on spring clip securing thingies or wire something simple up myself.

A 6-pt. metric wrench will work fine and it's less than $5 if you shop around. Add another $5 for a new factory drain plug if the old one looks dodgy and you're golden.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I have Tein FLEX coilovers.. the chassis is literally and inch and a half off the ground. I need to raise it up a little, but like I said, I don't want to have to get it realigned so soon. And I certainly don't want to wear out the tires I just spent $1,000 on.

I ordered a fumoto earlier today.. I was worried about putting one on my other car because I would take it off road, but with the way this car rides it's not going anywhere near off road.. hell, I can't even go down country roads.

I'm going to have to get it realigned before too long anyways because I'm going to have to take my front left coilover off to replace the little adjustment knob on top.

This car is a money pit

Banned

i had to

troll.
    Last edited by RayfieldsWRX; 11-29-2009 at 03:13 PM.

I Support ClubWRX
    I hope your brief stay was pleasant.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.