A/C causing weird sounds.

This is a discussion on A/C causing weird sounds. within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; When I have the a/c running, I hear a flutter, when in first and while shifting into 2nd. It sounds ...

Banned

A/C causing weird sounds.

When I have the a/c running, I hear a flutter, when in first and while shifting into 2nd. It sounds like something rattling. I got it down to the a/c because the sound occurred only when the a/c was turned on. I had a leak a too, which was from around where the turbo is located, . When I checked the fluid that was leaking it was water (90% sure). It felt like water but I didn't have the courage to taste it. I check my I/C sprayer fluid level it was right where it should be, I checked the other fluids they were all running right.

A/C leak for sure?

Can I seal it myself if i find it or should I take it in and the uh "pros" check it out?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by be1ieve1111 View Post
    When I have the a/c running, I hear a flutter, when in first and while shifting into 2nd. It sounds like something rattling. I got it down to the a/c because the sound occurred only when the a/c was turned on.
    Does the sound occur when you are standing in front of the car with the bonnet open and the car in neutral, and the A/C switched on? If so, where is the noise coming from?

I had a leak a too,
    Does this imply you no longer have this leak? Do you have the leak when the A/C is off?

which was from around where the turbo is located, . When I checked the fluid that was leaking it was water (90% sure).
    Where exactly was the fluid? What colour was the fluid? What temperature was the fluid? Warm? Cold?

It felt like water but I didn't have the courage to taste it.
    Never under any circumstances should you taste anything.

I check my I/C sprayer fluid level it was right where it should be, I checked the other fluids they were all running right.
    This doesn't mean they weren't leaking. The only fluids in the car are (ostensibly) clear water for the IC sprayer and windshield, coolant for the radiator, brake fluid, power steering fluid (read: more brake fluid), clutch fluid (ditto), condensation, and whatever falls from the sky or jumps up from the ground.

First find out if the A/C makes noise. The only moving parts are the compressor, its pulley, tensioner, and belt, and on the inside the HVAC fan. What's making noise?

Then find out what's leaking. Where is the fluid?

A/C leak for sure?
    Not from my perspective yet.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    Does the sound occur when you are standing in front of the car with the bonnet open and the car in neutral, and the A/C switched on? If so, where is the noise coming from?
    No you can hear it from inside the car, with the windows up and a/c on. You can only hear it when you put it in first and accelerate, and when it goes away a little, and when you put it in 2nd it rattles/flutters again. If it helps I can record the sound and put it up. If the car is in neutral and I turn the a/c on I occasionally hear a squeak too.

Does this imply you no longer have this leak? Do you have the leak when the A/C is off?
    It happened when when I had a accident with another vehicle.
    Two turning lanes and the moron decided to go straight while being the inner lane, and drove into me. The impact occurred on the drivers side of vehicle, at about 15 mph. I had to get a new fender on that side. The leak occurred at the other side of the vehicle which stomped me. The damage was only the panel. The wheel and everything was fine. It only leaked at the scene which about a month and half ago, and I used my AP to check all the temps as I was driving home all was same. Never leaked again, but I started noticing the a/c sounds recently abut a week ago. The a/c itself works fine, starts cooling great in seconds. But I don't use it just in case I might be damaging anything.
    Where exactly was the fluid?
    By the Passenger front tire, about half way between the tire and center of vehicle, drops could be seen pouring from the bottom of the car, the water could have trailed down from something else.

What colour was the fluid? What temperature was the fluid? Warm? Cold?

Clear(from what I saw, it was night), very water-like, it wasn't hot or cold, barely qualifies as warm, room temp.

Roger that.

The only moving parts are the compressor, its pulley, tensioner, and belt, and on the inside the HVAC fan. What's making noise?
    Not sure about this one, but I will check after I get out of work.

Banned
    *bump*

I Support ClubWRX
    No you can hear it from inside the car, with the windows up and a/c on.
    The question remains: with the car running the bonnet up, where in the engine bay does the noise come from?

You can only hear it when you put it in first and accelerate, and when it goes away a little, and when you put it in 2nd it rattles/flutters again.
    This does not sound A/C-related.

If the car is in neutral and I turn the a/c on I occasionally hear a squeak too.
    This does. If the A/C clutch is not engaging immediately, the belt is slipping. If the belt has been in use for a while, don't bother tightening the belt. Change it with a new genuine Subaru belt. Do both belts while you are at it.

By the Passenger front tire, about half way between the tire and center of vehicle, drops could be seen pouring from the bottom of the car, the water could have trailed down from something else.
    You are using an AP? Do you have the stock downpipe? Does the A/C drain tube in the firewall aft of the downpipe still exist, or has it been melted or diverted? Is the liquid simply condensate draining from the A/C (normal) through a messed up drain tube?
    Last edited by SD_GR; 08-23-2008 at 08:07 PM.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

DUB
    It felt like water but I didn't have the courage to taste it.
    Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    I'm sorry, I can't help with your problem, but I had to chime in because that really made me lol.

Just about all of the fluids that would be leaking out of your car are hazardous if consumed. It has never even occurred to me to taste a leaking fluid. I don't know why you would ever do such a thing?
    Secondly, I don't already know what all the different fluids taste like in my car, do you?

Sorry, back to the trouble shooting.