Turbo Problems.. HeLP
Results 1 to 9 of 9

This is a discussion on Turbo Problems.. HeLP within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; My Turbo has just recently started to have a high pitch whistle to it when it running at 3k to ...

  1. #1
    Registered User EvoKiLLer04's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    6

    Angry Turbo Problems.. HeLP

    My Turbo has just recently started to have a high pitch whistle to it when it running at 3k to 4k RPM... Its happening in every gear... Not sure what going on with it .. Any ideas?

  2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Registered User lordcon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Abingdon MD
    Posts
    928
    Assuming you aren't talking about the wastegate flutter often heard after installing an aftermarket downpipe; id say your turbocharger is on its way out. Any white smoke coming from the turbo area?
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffbmx00 View Post
    nah i dont have a problem with spelling, i just play a lot of world of warcraft and thats how people type in that game.

  4. #3
    Registered User EvoKiLLer04's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by lordcon View Post
    Assuming you aren't talking about the wastegate flutter often heard after installing an aftermarket downpipe; id say your turbocharger is on its way out. Any white smoke coming from the turbo area?
    No its the stock turbo.. There isnt any white smoke comin from the turbo area. I have a '04 with 22500 miles. Why is it going out already ..

  5. #4
    Registered User EvoKiLLer04's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    6
    I miss read your reply.. Everything is stock on my car..

  6. #5
    Registered User lordcon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Abingdon MD
    Posts
    928
    Quote Originally Posted by EvoKiLLer04 View Post
    I miss read your reply.. Everything is stock on my car..
    So this is a noise that you just recently noticed? Are you the original owner of the car? If the noise just started...there might be something wrong. Take it to a Subaru dealership and let them look at it.
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffbmx00 View Post
    nah i dont have a problem with spelling, i just play a lot of world of warcraft and thats how people type in that game.

  7. #6
    Registered User teflon_jones's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    8000' up in Colorado
    Posts
    6,753
    Quote Originally Posted by lordcon View Post
    So this is a noise that you just recently noticed? Are you the original owner of the car? If the noise just started...there might be something wrong. Take it to a Subaru dealership and let them look at it.
    +1, can you post some more info? Did the noise start gradually or all at once? Has it been getting steadily louder? Is it louder at startup or when the car is warm or always the same? Is it louder if you hammer the throttle versus climbing through the revs slowly? At the end of the day, even if your car is out of warranty a dealership will look at it for free and tell you the problem. You just need to tell them that you'll have to bring it back to get fixed and they won't charge you for the analysis. Whether you actually bring it back to them, fix it yourself, or bring it to a cheaper shop is up to you.

    With only 22,500 miles on the car, your turbo should be fine. However, there is a TSB on an oil line filter that could get clogged and cause premature turbo failure in your car. Doesn't happen to many people, but it does happen, hence the TSB.
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

  8. #7
    Registered User EvoKiLLer04's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by teflon_jones View Post
    +1, can you post some more info? Did the noise start gradually or all at once? Has it been getting steadily louder? Is it louder at startup or when the car is warm or always the same? Is it louder if you hammer the throttle versus climbing through the revs slowly? At the end of the day, even if your car is out of warranty a dealership will look at it for free and tell you the problem. You just need to tell them that you'll have to bring it back to get fixed and they won't charge you for the analysis. Whether you actually bring it back to them, fix it yourself, or bring it to a cheaper shop is up to you.

    With only 22,500 miles on the car, your turbo should be fine. However, there is a TSB on an oil line filter that could get clogged and cause premature turbo failure in your car. Doesn't happen to many people, but it does happen, hence the TSB.
    Well the noise started after i changed my oil.. it just started on my way home when i was passing another car. I course I punched it to get around him an that is when i heard it.. It doesnt matter if i punch it or is i slowly get on it. I dont hear it while my car is warmin up in the morning.. I still have a warranty on my car. The only question is what is a TSB?

  9. #8
    Registered User EvoKiLLer04's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    6
    I do want to say thanks for the help.. both of you.. THANKS

  10. #9
    Registered User lordcon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Abingdon MD
    Posts
    928
    Quote Originally Posted by EvoKiLLer04 View Post
    Well the noise started after i changed my oil.. it just started on my way home when i was passing another car. I course I punched it to get around him an that is when i heard it.. It doesnt matter if i punch it or is i slowly get on it. I dont hear it while my car is warmin up in the morning.. I still have a warranty on my car. The only question is what is a TSB?
    TSB stands for technical service bulletin. Car manufactures publish them when they realize that something across a specific range of models they produce is wrong mechanically and needs to be addressed. However, the TSB that one of the posters mention previously regarding oil starvation to the turbocharger does not effect your model year. That specific TSB only affects 2.5l engines and yours is a 2.0
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffbmx00 View Post
    nah i dont have a problem with spelling, i just play a lot of world of warcraft and thats how people type in that game.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •