timing belt and tranny questions
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on timing belt and tranny questions within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; ok, i have an 03 wrx wagon, i know everyone is going to say use the search feature and find ...

NJO

timing belt and tranny questions

ok, i have an 03 wrx wagon, i know everyone is going to say use the search feature and find it in a previous post but ive found different answers and seem to be misled. i was wondering about how long untill the timing belt is recomended to be replaced. and question 2 is about my transmission, it doesnt seem like it wants to go into gear it has to be "forced" (by forced i dont mean jammed or anything just more pressure than seems should be needed) into gears 1 2 and 3, anything wrong? or normal? and the other tranny question iss when i downshift into 3rd and 2nd it "whines". is my transmission going bad? or what, i need help thanks guys.
    EX BUGEYE MAFIA #193
    1996 Legacy Outback
    Ej20 swap/ with ALL supporting parts
    intake/turbo inlet/vf39/big tmic/headers/uppipe/downpipe/straight pipe/walbro fp/modded stock injectors/ and too much more

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by NJO View Post
    ok, i have an 03 wrx wagon, i know everyone is going to say use the search feature and find it in a previous post
    Not everyone...

but ive found different answers and seem to be misled. i was wondering about how long untill the timing belt is recomended to be replaced.
    Ignore all of them. The correct maintenance interval is in the owner's manual. Follow that schedule, it's from the manufacturer.

and question 2 is about my transmission, it doesnt seem like it wants to go into gear it has to be "forced" (by forced i dont mean jammed or anything just more pressure than seems should be needed) into gears 1 2 and 3, anything wrong?
    Probably.

or normal?
    Probably not.

and the other tranny question iss when i downshift into 3rd and 2nd it "whines". is my transmission going bad? or what, i need help thanks guys.
    Check your clutch fluid and check the clutch itself. Does it engage and disengage correctly? Gear whine in and of itself is not abnormal, but the gearbox should actually work and you should be able to select every gear except first and reverse when moving.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

NJO
    thank you for the help, but ive lost my manual but ill find one online. and one of my coworkers also owns and 03 wrx and he waited a week before his car went out of warranty and got the transmission re-built because when he took his in for a service he asked about the whining gears and they sid itll need to be rebuilt but i would wait as long as possible. so according to him the whining gears is a problem but i was looking for a second opinion, and were can the cluch fluid be checked from?
    EX BUGEYE MAFIA #193
    1996 Legacy Outback
    Ej20 swap/ with ALL supporting parts
    intake/turbo inlet/vf39/big tmic/headers/uppipe/downpipe/straight pipe/walbro fp/modded stock injectors/ and too much more

I Support ClubWRX
    Subaru provide an online site for owners to record their maintenance, and the maintenance schedule is posted. It's also available on fora (including this one, I believe, though it might take a search). The timing belt is due at 105,000 miles. On a stock car that's lived a normal life, I'd follow that interval (I actually am following that interval with such a car myself).

All fluids to be checked have a yellow cap. The clutch fluid is held in a reservoir that looks a lot like the brake fluid reservoir, but is not mounted on the brake booster -- it's on the firewall nearby.

Consider having someone look at the car locally if you can't find what's wrong and are still concerned.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.