boost bleed
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on boost bleed within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I have a 05 wrx wagon put injen long ram intake on and the car started bleeding boost off at ...

boost bleed

I have a 05 wrx wagon put injen long ram intake on and the car started bleeding boost off at 58000 rpms, with the stock exhaust. on with the magna flow 2.5 catback to make it exhale better , no change, still bleeds boost at 5800 rpms and the boost gauge bounes between .9 milabars. and .5 milabars. while in 4th from 5800 and up. the car did pop through the intake 1 time, before the exhaust went on. could this split the diaphragm on the blow off valve and cause this problem or is the stock one just not good enough please send help thank you
    Last edited by Dan Meyer; 08-19-2008 at 11:07 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    ..................spreak engrish prease...
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

Banned
    Do you have the stock BPV on or did you get a BOV? If you got a BOV, what did you get?

I couldn't tell from your post.

I Support ClubWRX
    Very interesting. I understand individual words but not the meaning of more than two or three words strung together.

The car does not maintain full boost throughout the RPM range, nor does it hit max boost in all gears. This is normal.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

boost bleeding off

Sorry, I didn't win the spelling bee or the grammar one either, but this is what the car is doing, thru 2nd and 3rd gear the engine goes up on boost to.9 on the gage I have, as the car passes thru 5800 rpm's the boost starts to drop off, after shifting it goes back up to .9 on the gauge an drops off again as you pass thru 5800 rpm's. also when in 4th gear as it passes thru 5800 an continues upward in rpm's, the boost gauge moves up and down between .5 and .9 on the gauge. beside the exhaust and the cold air intake the car is stock. Also tonight while getting gas I was looking at the exhaust an happen to touch the exhaust tip, it was very hot (is this normal) and the stainless steel was discolored.

Also does the engine have a boost blow off valve that keeps the boost level from going to high an to mantain the boost at a certain level.

the car in stock form, would hit the .9 on the gauge at about 3500 rpm's an hold it there through out the rest of the rpm band and didn't drop till you lifted off the gas.

I hope this help you under stand my problem with the car

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Meyer View Post
    Sorry, I didn't win the spelling bee or the grammar one either, but this is what the car is doing, thru 2nd and 3rd gear the engine goes up on boost to.9 on the gage I have, as the car passes thru 5800 rpm's the boost starts to drop off, after shifting it goes back up to .9 on the gauge an drops off again as you pass thru 5800 rpm's. also when in 4th gear as it passes thru 5800 an continues upward in rpm's, the boost gauge moves up and down between .5 and .9 on the gauge. beside the exhaust and the cold air intake the car is stock. Also tonight while getting gas I was looking at the exhaust an happen to touch the exhaust tip, it was very hot (is this normal) and the stainless steel was discolored.

Also does the engine have a boost blow off valve that keeps the boost level from going to high an to mantain the boost at a certain level.

the car in stock form, would hit the .9 on the gauge at about 3500 rpm's an hold it there through out the rest of the rpm band and didn't drop till you lifted off the gas.

I hope this help you under stand my problem with the car
    A blow off valve does not regulate boost.The turbo wastegate and ECU via the boost control solenoid that controls the wastegate regulate boost.The bov/bpv's job is to keep compressor stall/surge from being induced when you lift off the throttle rapidly (like durring shifting).WRX's do not make max boost in all gears like said earlier.You are getting a boost oscillation due to the intake probably.Also the stock boost gauge is crap.Buy a nice aftermarket electronic boost gauge if you can afford it that includes readings in psi and vacuum (inHg) as well.Here is some light reading....
    Unabomber's Manifesto - NASIOC
    Last edited by Donkey; 08-20-2008 at 05:41 AM.
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

thanks to donkey

well I put the stock air intake on, that fixed the ossolation but the boost still bleeds off as before. I know some one who knows turbo car, I'll have him check out the car to make sure every thing is working properly. and I'll buy the boost gauge, anyone intrested in this cold air intake

I Support ClubWRX
    You need to go back and read was has been posted.....the stock turbo WILL NOT maintain full boost throughout the RPM range.It has to taper down in the higher RPM's before redline.
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.