tuning....

This is a discussion on tuning.... within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; new to the WRX world. i have an 86 grand national and just trying to learn about these wrx"s little ...

tuning....

new to the WRX world. i have an 86 grand national and just trying to learn about these wrx"s little bit newer than my car... my freind has an 05 wrx with an intake and exhaust recently done, the car has no power wat so ever it bogs and sometimes feels like its miss firing, i have access to a scan tool but really dont know wat values should be ware... there is no codes and no pending codes. can anyone point me in a direction for basic tuning??

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Is in Love With the Admins Here 20WRX04's Avatar
    We'll let you off the hook this time cuz you own a GN. Otherwise i'd just tell you to search.

What exactly was done to the exhaust? What kind of EM (engine management) is he using? Also, get rid of the CAI (cold air intake). They mess with the MAF too much. WRXs run better with the stock airbox.
    The first rule of the Faction is...DO NOT TALK ABOUT THE FACTION.
    NY GIANTS
    Hybrid Faction #19
    Blobeye Syndicate #19
    Mods

tuning

haha im not shooting my mouth of lol, as far as i know there is no engine managment wat ever came stock im pretty sure, and he has a cat back borla exhaust, after he did the intake he said the car seemed to get worse. my thinking is the car is leaning out?? and the computer needs to be chiped/flashed? sorry wicked new technolgy compare to my beast but these cars are very very intresting and bad a$$

Quote Originally Posted by GNX39 View Post
    these cars are very very intresting and bad a$$
    You've got that right!

Tell him to put the stock airbox back in & then reset the ECU. You just have to pull the ground cable & press the brake pedal to deplete the electrical system. If that doesn't work, there must be something else going on.

EDIT: There's definately something else bigger than just the intake going on. The car shouldn't just lose power cuz of that.
    NY GIANTS
    Hybrid Faction #19
    Blobeye Syndicate #19
    Mods

i wouldnt say loosing power, just bogs kind of like if you had the wastegate adjusted way out so it boosts slow... get wat im saying by that?

btw is there a link ware i can see the values i should be aiming for if i have a scan tool, like o2s, fuel trims stuff like that....

Yeah, I understand. I'm just learning the tuning values myself. I'm not sure where to find them on here though. They may be posted, but I haven't seen them. There are some other guys on here who are better suited to help you with that. There might also be a loose or damaged vacuum/boost hose somewhere. Check into that as well. Good luck.
    NY GIANTS
    Hybrid Faction #19
    Blobeye Syndicate #19
    Mods