Installed iPod interface WRX 2008 (whining)
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Installed iPod interface WRX 2008 (whining) within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hey guys, As you can see this is one of my few postings (just got the car). I have already ...

Installed iPod interface WRX 2008 (whining)

Hey guys,

As you can see this is one of my few postings (just got the car). I have already installed an iPod interface kit. I did not notice it at first, but there is a whining present when I switch it over to SAT 1 (or the iPod). I have heard that it may be cause by the iPod's hard drive, but the whining persists when I detach the iPod as well. If anyone has any ideas on how to fix this please let me know. Thank you in advance!

Matt

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

anyone?

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Does it whine all the time, or just when the car's running? First I would check the grounds.

It whines when I press the SAT 1 button even when the iPod isn't attached and when the car is running. It may be the ground, but I made sure to connect it when I put everything back. Maybe the vibration knocked something loose?

Matt

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    SAT 1, is that the satellite radio button on your head unit?

What is it grounded to? Sometimes a ground wire can have some noise if it isn't clean. I guess it depends on what else it's grounding.

Could it have been making the noise before you installed the kit? And what exactly is included in the iPod interface kit? I don't have a mp3 player, or even a cell phone, so my experience is limited in that area.

it sounds like a ground loop issue, behind your radio you have a ton of wires that give off radiated ac signal from your alternator, move your ground and make a new one if possiable so that the noise can dump to ground 2 try some farrad beads from radioshack or fry's or just simply move the interface box for the iPod

SAT 1, is that the satellite radio button on your head unit?

What is it grounded to? Sometimes a ground wire can have some noise if it isn't clean. I guess it depends on what else it's grounding.

Could it have been making the noise before you installed the kit? And what exactly is included in the iPod interface kit? I don't have a mp3 player, or even a cell phone, so my experience is limited in that area.
    SAT 1 is not the button, but a channel designation. The button for the Satelite is labeled SAT

The iPod interface is a separate unit that comes with its own mounting bracket. It has cables that connect it to the stock HU. The only ground present was the one connected to the stock HU.

The whinning was not present before the installation, but maybe it is the ground connecting to the stock HU that is the issue. When I get some time I will check it.

it sounds like a ground loop issue, behind your radio you have a ton of wires that give off radiated ac signal from your alternator, move your ground and make a new one if possiable so that the noise can dump to ground 2 try some farrad beads from radioshack or fry's or just simply move the interface box for the iPod
    I will definitely check the positioning of my ground and see if the contacts are clean. If that does not fix it I will get another ground. Also, what are farad beads? I tried to google it and it came back with nothing. Is there a more technical term for them or can you tell me what section of Fry's/Radio Shack I can find them in.

I appreciate all this helpful information. Thank you everybody!

Matt

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.