Holy crap, cleaning fender & sideskirt

This is a discussion on Holy crap, cleaning fender & sideskirt within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I've been kind of suspicious about crap building up in the front fenders and in the sideskirts. I couldn't believe ...

Admiral Ackbar the 1st mycologist's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX

Holy crap, cleaning out fender & sideskirt

I've been kind of suspicious about crap building up in the front fenders and in the sideskirts. I couldn't believe what I found though -

That is 4 pounds of soggy gunk I've been carting around, and it was preventing drainage as well. First you take out the pop rivets for the sideskirts and the fender liner (whatever ones are in your way). Pop out the center and pull them out, they all work the same:

Unclip the fender liner and pull it out:

OMG!! I actually keep the visable parts of my car very clean, this freaked me out:

The passenger side (above) has some black insulation - I cut the bottom of it off so it wouldn't wick up moisture, and cleaned everything out with a hose, toothbrush, and simple green to get rid of any salt. Now this crack allows drainage again!

Don't forget the extra pound in your sideskirt:
    Last edited by mycologist; 08-14-2008 at 01:45 PM.
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Yup, I need to do that to my car soon. That is the sort of stuff that will rot the inside of a fender out.
    This message printed on 100% recycled electrons.

Admiral Ackbar the 1st mycologist's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Yeah, my wife's '97 nissan was still perfect except that it rusted through the door frame right in that front corner. Well, that and the damage from a 4x4 truck that backed up onto the hood.
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb