Dealer messed up my car, advice needed
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Dealer messed up my car, advice needed within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; So, I've been trying to diagnose a misfire on cylinder 4 on my 2002 WRX ( http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/genera...n-problem.html ). I had ...

Dealer messed up my car, advice needed

So, I've been trying to diagnose a misfire on cylinder 4 on my 2002 WRX (Need help diagnosing hesitation problem). I had pretty much ruled out plugs, coils, fuel filter, MAF, and air leak. I didn't want to start just replacing costlier parts until the problem was fixed, I figured it would be chaper to take it to the dealer and pay to have them diagnose it. While it was there, I had them replace a tie rod, replace two cvs boots, change out the tranny and diff oil, and replacement the timing belt for a grand total of $1300. BTW - they claimed they fixed the misfire and hesitation by replacing a sensor connector, not sure which one, it's the top connector in the connector cluster underneath the little cover that is behind the intake on the strut tower enclosure. That didn't do anything. Misfire and hesitation was still there when I picked it up.

So to the point. My timing belt snapped two weeks later. They claim that one of the idler pullley bearings fell apart and tore up the timing belt. I think that is bs. They say they are only going to pay half of the PARTS COST ONLY. Not sure how much damage was done, they're guessing all new valves at least. No clankity noises, so I guess that's kinda a bright spot. What should I do? I've contacted SOA and they said they will give the dealership a call. I've also contacted a friend over at COBB who's gonna talk to some other dealers. Everyone I've talked to has said their explanation is bs.

Last edited by TheJ; 08-13-2008 at 07:52 PM. Reason: Don't dodge the swear filter.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Well first of all... do NOT dodge the swear filter. ESPECIALLY in a thread title.
    -The J
    New Members, CLICK & BOOKMARK these links:

"Driving most supercars is like trying to manhandle a cow up a back staircase. . . This is like smearing honey into Keira Knightly" -JC

So, aside from watching my language (sorry, I was and still am a little ticked off to say the least) nobody has any advice on how to handle this situation? Does anyone agree that the dealership should be liable for this? I mean, an idler pulley snapping two weeks after having your timing belt replaced??? Not to mention, I'm not sure how they know that the idler pulley "broke" causing the belt to snap vs the other way around.

Admiral Ackbar the 1st mycologist's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    I think the dealer should be responsible. I was unable to find a service guarantee specifically, but they all use this in their websites: " Exceptional service and maintenance are a key part of our dealership. Our factory-trained service technicians have the experience and knowledge to ensure that the right service is performed on your Subaru."

So, they should have noticed that the pulleys needed to be replaced (this is commonly suggested as a matter of course, and they should have at least inspected them carefully). I don't think they can claim that they went from fine to catastrophic in two weeks. My opinion is also that they need to prove to you that it was not the timing belt itself, not vice versa. Basically, if they were working in that area everything should have been good to go for at least another 60k miles, not a few hundred. Clearly they did not ensure that the "right service is performed on your vehicle". A good shop would guarantee the work for a year.
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

I Support ClubWRX
    On your receipts from the dealership there should be an explanation of the warranty terms for their work. If that clause says they'll cover it, then they'll cover it. Also, your state may have rules in place; check that out too.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.