Problems getting gas from pump

This is a discussion on Problems getting gas from pump within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Okay so this has happened several times, usually when I am on dead empty or close to it. The gas ...

Problems getting gas from pump

Okay so this has happened several times, usually when I am on dead empty or close to it. The gas attendant goes to put in gas, walks away and after a couple dollars it stops and he has to pull the trigger on the handle again. It keeps popping off every couple dollars, and one time every 50 or 60 cents. Very embarassing, its happened at 3 different stations (all different companies). One guy asked if I had any gas in the car and I said no I was on empty. He was like oh that might be why (he kinda sounded like it's happened to other cars before). Have any of you had this problem or know a fix? The only thing I can think of is not going until the tank is near empty. Very odd..

Thanks!
    Just remember, capitalization and punctuation marks the difference between, "I just helped my uncle, Jack, off a horse." and, "i just helped my uncle jack off a horse"
    04 Wrx Wagon Cobb Stage 2
    Blobeye Syndicate #026

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I had this problem many times on my Jeep Wrangler but never the WRX. Since the filler neck on the Jeep was nearly a 90 degree angle down to the tank, if you put the gas pump to far in it would keep stopping, I just pulled the handle out a little and it worked fine. Not sure if this could be your problem but it is worth a try.
    2004 PSM WRX VF39'd and loving it.
    1979 Camaro Z28 383 stroker
    1993 Silverado 6.5 TD "Old Smokey"
    1974 Honda CB750 cafe racer project
    blObeye SYNDICATE #88
    "In art, as in love, instinct is enough."

Ah, I'll make sure to watch the guy next time, since we can't pump our own gas legally here in NJ.

I thought it was weird that it only happened recently although I've driven the car over 6k since I got it.
    Just remember, capitalization and punctuation marks the difference between, "I just helped my uncle, Jack, off a horse." and, "i just helped my uncle jack off a horse"
    Blobeye Syndicate #026

Quote Originally Posted by rotorocker View Post
    Ah, I'll make sure to watch the guy next time, since we can't pump our own gas legally here in NJ.
    What?!?!?? You are required by law to not pump your own gas? That's crazy looney stuff.... surely you are kidding?

we can't pump our own gas legally here in NJ.
    Well that sucks I take great pleasure in pumping my own gas, until I look at price it cost me to fill up. Poor little Roosevelt never saw it coming...
    blObeye SYNDICATE #88

Quote Originally Posted by Spincycle View Post
    What?!?!?? You are required by law to not pump your own gas? That's crazy looney stuff.... surely you are kidding?
    Nope, in NJ it is illegal to. I have several times as if a kid is working a pump is he unlikely to say something but thats the law and it states it at the pump. I get really peeved off when I have to wait for 4 other cars to get served before me.
    Blobeye Syndicate #026

That is just an insane law... and after doing some reading on it, the idea that people can't learn to fill up themselves is insane, I mean what if they leave the state...

Quote Originally Posted by Spincycle View Post
    That is just an insane law... and after doing some reading on it, the idea that people can't learn to fill up themselves is insane, I mean what if they leave the state...
    That must be where Hitch Hikers are from, N.J.. j/k
    I had no idea such a law even existed in our world, how does one go about passing a law like that.
    blObeye SYNDICATE #88

It was passed in 1949, and it was under the idea that handling gas was too dangerous for the untrained person. Oregon has the same law, it was put in place in 1950. I guess they have tried to repeal it, but lobbyist for the disabled, and the gas attendants have blocked it. I know here in WI people are blowing them selves up daily because they never learned how to pump gas...

Quote Originally Posted by ZACK777 View Post
    I had this problem many times on my Jeep Wrangler but never the WRX. Since the filler neck on the Jeep was nearly a 90 degree angle down to the tank, if you put the gas pump to far in it would keep stopping, I just pulled the handle out a little and it worked fine. Not sure if this could be your problem but it is worth a try.
    Actually I thought about this and if this was my problem, why would it only do it when I was on empty and not other times? This would be a problem every time I fill up if it was the angle and the pump "gun" or whatever its called.
    Blobeye Syndicate #026

Actually I thought about this and if this was my problem, why would it only do it when I was on empty and not other times? This would be a problem every time I fill up if it was the angle and the pump "gun" or whatever its called.
    Not sure what would cause it to only do that when you are empty.
    That is just the only experience that I have of the gas pump doing what you described

Hmmmm....

Does the stopping continue until the car is completely full, or does it cease when the tank becomes like half full.
    blObeye SYNDICATE #88

It continues all the way until its full.
    Blobeye Syndicate #026

It continues all the way until its full.
    Well, you have me stumped man, IDK what to tell you except maybe to visit the....... *GULP* ....... dealership. Maybe they could tell you what it could be.
    blObeye SYNDICATE #88

Maybe your pump consultant is the problem.

I am just saying... I mean unless you are doing it yourself... who knows...