Grinding Noise, hope its not my diff

This is a discussion on Grinding Noise, hope its not my diff within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; My car (2005 sti) makes a grinding noise ONLY when i take off in first. As i let off the ...

Grinding Noise, hope its not my diff

My car (2005 sti) makes a grinding noise ONLY when i take off in first. As i let off the clutch and begin to accellerate it will make a straining type of grinding noise for a brief moment and then stop. It does not do this in any other gear PLUS i can ride in 1st all day long and the only time it grinds is when i take off from a complete stop. Any suggestions?
    How Fast Can You Afford To Go?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Sounds to me like 1st gear may be shot. If it was your diff or anything other than your tranny, you should hear something in at least one other gear even if it was very faint/quiet.
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

Im not saying it isnt one of the gears, but if the gear was "shot", the situation would seem alot worse. The actual performance of the gear doesnt seem to be effected, just the noise as far as i can tell.

is this sraining noise coming from under/behind the car and only when you take off from very low RPM and bog it down a little.
    "90 miles an hour through trees sideways is pretty damn scary" ~Ken Block

yes, it's coming from under the car, and only when i take off from a low rpm or dead stop

depending on the sound and volume, it could just be stuff straining (real technical, i know). i know when i test drove several different 06/07 WRX's that were new, including the one i bought, make a little grindy/strainy noise when i really bog it down on the start. well not really grindy but just a low straining sound from the bottom/rear area. hope someone can ensure this is normal or i'll start panicing.
    "90 miles an hour through trees sideways is pretty damn scary" ~Ken Block

hmm...well i did have the front struts, and the front/passenger side of the car replaced barely 3 weeks ago. Could this be the new body so to speak "wearing in"