Cruise control problem

This is a discussion on Cruise control problem within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I have an '03 WRX wagon, the cruise control button lights up when pressed, but the controls do not work. ...

Cruise control problem

I have an '03 WRX wagon, the cruise control button lights up when pressed, but the controls do not work. I press the lever on the wheel to set, and it never kicks in. I had the clip replaced under the factory recall years ago, and it has worked since. Any ideas? Thanks, in advance.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Do you have a way to pull engine codes? I'd start there just because that's easy, but my guess would be that it's a simply case of loose wiring. These things happen! Do you have access to a shop manual that'll tell you how to trace the wiring?
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

No, and no. Unfortunately. I will have to get the manual. I have an extended warranty, but I don't want to take it in for a loose wire. Thanks.

I think I have something that might be related to this. My cruise cuts off after riding for a awhile. For example I was driving back from Phoniex to Yuma and its about 2.5hr to a 3hr drive I had the cruise set on 90 cause i was in the middle of the desert. After about a hour of driving the cruise just stoped I thought I might have tapped my brake or clutch so i just hit it back up to 90 and set it again. Well like 10 minutes later it cut out again, and I know I didn't hit the brake or anything so once more i tired it and it didn't even stay on for 30 seconds so I just turned it off till I got back home. On the way to work this morning though it worked fine all the way to my job. I guess could this also fall under some loose wires?

or the fact that using cruise control at 90 mph is crazy, maybe the CC is meant to not work at certain speeds?
    How Fast Can You Afford To Go?

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by bigpatskize View Post
    On the way to work this morning though it worked fine all the way to my job. I guess could this also fall under some loose wires?
    What happens if you set it to 55 or something like that? 90 is quite high for cruise control; maybe you're hitting its limit (if I were designing the system, I'd set a max speed above which it'd be full manual throttle; 90 mph is 145 km/h! My bet is there's a max, and that's it...)
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

so don't set the cruise at 90 and it shouldn't happen

there was a tsb about the cruise control wire being messed up. the subaru dealership replaced it fo free!

02 WRX Incontinent Cruise

Did anyone ever get this fixed?

My '02 WRX Wagon has been doing this since the clip recall was done. Every time I go back to the dealer I ask them to fix it, but they never do. I engage it once and it usually takes the first time, but if I have to dis-engage and re-engage it I get no joy. Often I'll have it set and it just dis-engages. Other times I'll try to set it and it will make a difference (more throttle than none), but it won't hold speed.

I've had the clutch and brake pedal switches replaced, but that did not fix it.
    2002 WRX Wagon - WR Blue - Full STi Suspension & Short Shifter

Hey guys , i have a 2008 wrx. my cruise control work around town fine if u driving 20 miles or less. If im driving over 50 miles to another state it works for about 12 miles then it cuts off by itself. The only way to get it working is to turn off the car for a few minutes while getting gas. it works for another 12 miles then chips out again..... Helpppppp

02 Sedan owner here, my cruise control wasn't working when I bought my car. On the clutch pedal, near where it attaches to the mounting bracket, there is a switch you may see. Now on the bugeyes, there is a rubber grommet that fills a hole there activating the switch when the clutch pedal is not depressed. My car was missing that gromet, so I put a screw in the hole and threaded a nut onto the other side to take its place. Works brilliant. Just go under the dash, and look up the pedal and you will surely see it. I can take pictures if needed.