I need help...
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on I need help... within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I'm driving down the freeway in my 06 2.5i at 65 with the cruise set. All of a sudden, the ...

I need help...

I'm driving down the freeway in my 06 2.5i at 65 with the cruise set. All of a sudden, the car shifts down into 3rd, and I notice the ABS light comes on, but I hadn't touched the brakes. A couple seconds later, the needles dip a little bit when you turn the car off, and the stereo shuts off. A few seconds later it's turns back on, the light goes off and it's back to normal. I was only a few miles away from home and it was doing it all the way there. Once I hit my driveway, I shut it off to maybe reset something, and when I try to restart it, it acts like the battery's dead. It cranks for a second and the dash lights dims then stops.

I jump started it, and it started up fine; however I saw that the odometer had reset itself. I haven't done anything to the engine, but I have had the gauge cluster out/apart recently so I'm sure I did something to it. Any ideas what?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Tough one, but I would say it sounds like a connector isn't fully seated to the cluster. Loss of power at the cluster (not at the battery) seems like to only logical explanation for the (trip?) odometer resetting itself.

As far as the ABS goes and downshifting to 3rd I couldn't tell ya... Good luck though!

Is in Love With the Admins Here 20WRX04's Avatar
    I would check the battery. Then the alternator if it's not a loose connection.
    The first rule of the Faction is...DO NOT TALK ABOUT THE FACTION.
    NY GIANTS
    Hybrid Faction #19
    Blobeye Syndicate #19
    Mods

Almost the exact same thing happened to me once, but in my nissan....It was the alternator...
    King Dustin
    Bugeye Mafia # 195
    Cobb Stage 2
    2002 PSM WRX

"
    Life's simple, you make choices and you don't look back. "

Quote Originally Posted by 20wrx04 View Post
    i would check the battery. Then the alternator if it's not a loose connection.
    +1
    "M3 drivers have no friends..." - Jeremy Clarkson

"If something sounds too good to be true, it's best to shoot it to make sure" - Fiona Glenanne

I checked around under the hood, and after running for like 2 minutes the alternator gets really hot. No loose connections on the battery, so I'm goin with I need a new alternator. Will the STi alternator fit? It's 90A instead of 75A, and since I'm running a stereo (1100 watts RMS), I might as well get the bigger one if it'll work.

Check voltage at the battery terminals with the car running. Should be around 14 volts. If you can pull your alternator on your own Advanced auto or Trak Auto or whoever should be able to check it before you replace it to make sure it's the problem.

Registered User JUSTINSNUTSWINGER's Avatar
    Still under warranty ?

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.