Subaru WRX Forum banner

RPM spike, is it normal or should it get checked out?

2K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  Timdog1650 
#1 · (Edited)
('08 Wagon, 12K Miles, no mods unless you count stickers on the windows)

I'll try to explain this so that it makes sense:

Whenever I start slowing down from just about any speed, I'll take my foot off the accelerator and then hold the clutch pedal down. If I keep the shifter in the 3rd or 2nd gear position, the RPM's will decrease to normal idle levels and then spike back up to anwhere between 2k and 3k rpm's, even when the clutch pedal is being held all the way down.

The moment I take the shifter out of the 3rd or 2nd gear position, the RPM's go back to normal levels.

I make sure that I move my foot completely away from the accelerator before touching the clutch pedal.

I'm not the smartest with cars, but I have driven manual transmission for over 6 years, and I haven't seen this happen before.

Is this normal and I'm over reacting, or is it something serious I should take to the dealer?

See less See more
#2 ·
does the rpms that it reaches (2-3k) correspond to the appropriate rpms at the speed you are at. in other words if you let the clutch out would that be the correct rpms? anything where the car revs that high by itself is not normal. but since it only happens in gear i'm thinking the clutch is grabbing somehow even when the pedals in.

#3 · (Edited)
If I'm driving, for example around 35 MPH (roughly 3K rpm in 3rd gear), and I disengage the clutch but leave the shifter in the 3rd gear position, the RPM's drop down like it should for a second or two, but then it spikes back up to around 2500 or 3k rpm's and then eventually drops back to a lower RPM.

The RPM's keep spiking up and down until I move the shifter into the neutral position or re-engage the clutch.

There doesn't seem to be any correlation between the rpm level and the speed at which I am driving. If the clutch was grabbing, would I feel any odd vibrations or changes in speed? Everything feels consistent and I don't hear any other squeeks or clunks.

Everything else runs smooth and fine, except for this problem. If I put the shifter in the neutral position, even with the clutch engaged, the problem doesn't happen.

I don't know if this has always been happening since I got the car (brand new) and just didn't notice it, or if there is an actual problem.

Thanks

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.