Periodic highway vibration
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Periodic highway vibration within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Just got an '04 WRX a few weeks back. The car has 53K miles on it and everything is stock. ...

Periodic highway vibration

Just got an '04 WRX a few weeks back. The car has 53K miles on it and everything is stock. The car drives great in all city and highway conditions - except for one stretch of highway that always seems to induce a speed dependant vibration (70-80mph). The on-ramp is a particularly sharp right turn followed by the on-ramp. After entering the highway, the vibration slowly builds (over about a mile or two) until the entire front end of the car is shaking. If I take an off-ramp and pull over, everything comes back to normal and I can proceed like nothing happened - the car will drive smoothly. If i continue driving the vibration continues and eventually fades away and the car again drives smoothly.

Since I dont have any noise or vibration in the city at low speeds or when cornering, I assume it isn't the wheel bearings. I had the wheels balanced and rotated over the weekend and had an alignment done at the same time. The only other thing that comes to mind is a worn CV shaft that slowly spins off-center, causing the vibration. I haven't dug into the problem much and the alignment shop didn't mention any problems when I picked the car up.

Has anyone else had anything similar happen to thier car? If so, how did you fix it.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Whats the condition of the tires? Look at the DOT numbers the last two numbers will tell you the year they were made. ie 04 (2004) A worn tire, or tire that sat and has flat spots could cause this too.
    2005 WRB WRX "was" STAGE 2

I'll check in the morning, but the previous owner said that they were less than a year old. Shouldn't have any flat spots from sitting as this car has been a daily driver. The tires themselves appear to be in good shape and have plenty of tread left, however I've not really looked at them all that closely. If they did have a flat/worn spot, would'nt they always make the vibration (or at least most of the time)?

The wierd part about this is that most of the time the ride is very smooth, it only seems to happen after taking a hard corner and then coming up to speed. I'm traveling the same stretch of road tomorrow and will try to take it a bit easier on that corner to see if it helps.

I'll post tomorrow with the tire specs.

Theres many factors to a vibration. Depends on who balanced the wheels. Some shop kids? I would make sure you see each tire zero'd out and watch the wheels when spinning to make sure they arnt bent. If you have bent wheels they should be placed on the rear depending on the condition of how bad. If you went in the shop saying you have a vibration, I would go back as you paid money to fix a problem yet you still have it...
    2005 WRB WRX "was" STAGE 2

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.