Is your '02-'03 wrx ac working? I need your help...

This is a discussion on Is your '02-'03 wrx ac working? I need your help... within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; New guy here, I'm trying to diagnose some ac problems I'm having with a newly purchased '03. I was hoping ...

Is your '02-'03 wrx ac working? I need your help...

New guy here, I'm trying to diagnose some ac problems I'm having with a newly purchased '03. I was hoping someone with a "02-'03 WRX would turn their ac compressor clutch by hand? Does it turn smooth or rough (notchy)? Don't do this with your car running, nobody wants the nick name nubs! Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Notchy, "coggy" or "whirry" is normal. Are you asking because you hear a chirping sound when the compressor tries to engage and/or the clutch doesn't seem to engage to the pulley effectively, causing it to "lag?"

If so, change the belt.

See here:
    Air conditioning problem -- Help?

If that thread describes what you're seeing, you're in luck, it's a cheap and easy fix. Focus on posts 1 and 17. The other posts are less optimistic, but on the bright side they weren't my problem; no. 17 was the fix.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

When I purchased the car the ac didn't blow cold and was a little loud (whiring). I noticed that the compressor clutch was slipping when engaged, so I replaced the worn alt belt, ac belt and ac tensioner pulley and adjusted the belt tension. The compressor clutch now spins when the ac button is pushed, but still blows warm air. I put some gauges on and high side reads 120 and low side reads 0 (at idle). I added 12ozs of r134a gauges now read 190 high side and 45 on low side (at idle). Does this sound about right??? It now blows cold, but is still a little noisy. So I removed the compressor clutch disc and inspected the bearing, the seals and cages are blown out of the bearing. I sourced the bearing, $45, however I don't want to put a $45 bearing in the pulley if the compressor is going to take a s**t! When I put the clutch disc on the compressor rotor shaft and turn it (by hand) the first rotation feels smooth and after a few more rotations it tightens up and gets notchy. Is it just building pressure or is their a problem or is their trash in the compressor When I turn the clutch disc (by hand) on my Toyota truck it turns real smooth. That's why I was hoping someone would turn their compressor clutch disc for a quick and easy comparison. Its getting HOT (99F) down here in Tennessee!
    Last edited by tangshank; 08-04-2008 at 07:47 PM.

I Support ClubWRX
    Aha, you've already done the belt replacement. OK. I don't know if your low side pressure is normal but empirically, since it now blows cold, you've got at least enough to work with.

Spinning my compressor, with lines attached but belt off, gives me the same effect you've described. Mine makes a little whirring noise too, but it works. It always has. Since your bearing is visibly borked I can't think of another way to see if that's the problem other than installing the replacement, I'm afraid.

If you can post the source that'll help people in the future shopping for a bearing.

Edit: Another user, Micah, has links to service manuals. See if you can find info on normal high/low pressures in those maybe. This still leaves another question -- where did the original amount of refrigerant go? Do the bearing seals contact refrigerant, in other words? If so, OK, there's the leak. If not...
    Last edited by SD_GR; 08-04-2008 at 08:44 PM.
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I Support ClubWRX
    Subscribed for later, I'm having some a/c issues as well.
    "Never Launched"
    Dougie
    - Founder, 250,000 mile club
    -5,000 posts

The bearing will take care of the noise I'm hearing. All the balls are in there but with no lubrication and without the support of of the cages. I put a couple of drops of 30w oil in there, though temporary did make the noise go away. Interesting note: the compressor pulleys bearing cages are a plastic or fiber type material not metal. I'm not sure what failed first, the bearing cages or the seals, as both the seals were popped out of the bearing and the cages were smashed to bits. The bearing shouldn't effect refrigerant loss, as all was contained in the compressor clutch assembly. You should be able to turn the compressor clutch plate with the belt still on the pulley, because the clutch coil isn't pulling the clutch plate to the pulley. When turning the clutch plate (by hand) with ignition off, all you are doing is turning the internals of the compressor. I just wasn't sure if the internals of the compressor are supposed to turn so roughly. If this is "normal operation" for the compressor, I will order the bearing and reassemble the clutch on the compressor. My next action, will be find the leak, get the specifications for high and low side pressures and add more refrigerant, if needed.
    Thanks for your help SD GR! I'll give out the bearing info once I'm sure it's the correct part.
    If anybody else will check compressor clutch (turned several rotations by hand) it would be greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by tangshank; 08-04-2008 at 09:51 PM.

I Support ClubWRX
    My compressor behaves like you've described when spun manually. In fact, in the other thread I was alarmed about it for that same reason. Worked then, works now. Can't vouch for its health, but can guarantee it's a lot like yours from the description. In what's left of my mind, the compressor is "normal."

Does the car have a strut tower bar connecting the tops of the two struts, tower to tower and across the back of the intercooler in front of the firewall? Does it have an aftermarket or larger intercooler? Both are easy leak sources (friction on the A/C tubing back there) and would be easy to spot, easy to fix.

EDIT: Do you have any used car lots/dealers near you with Subarus on hand? Maybe you can go "shopping" and casually spin the A/C while looking at the motor. After all, maybe mine isn't "normal" after all, even if it does work. Hmm...

This pressure info is I believe for a 2004 model (with the newer look, not a bugeye but still a turbo 2.0L):
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails A:C pressures.jpg  
    Last edited by SD_GR; 08-04-2008 at 10:16 PM.

Hey SD GR, if your ac is working properly and operates manually like mine, I'm a happy dude, the dealer wants over $600 for a new compressor.

The only mod I have under the hood is a cold air intake.

I've been spying for a comparison car on a lot, with no luck yet.

I hope some one else will check theirs out though, just for sh*ts
    and giggles.

Thanks for the specs.
    Last edited by tangshank; 08-04-2008 at 10:26 PM.

I Support ClubWRX
    Since people wreck Imprezas every day, there are lots of used compressors to be had for ~$100 or so. You may have to buy more than one but at least it's not $600. Hopefully you won't need a compressor anyway though. I looked around and can't find 03-specific specs for pressure but the 04 stuff above should give you at least a guesstimate. Good luck!

I read somewhere that this is a screw type compressor , I wonder if this a reason why it operates like it does?

I Support ClubWRX
    Beats me. Hopefully someone else with a working car will see this thread and give theirs a spin too...

Thank you for the link SD! Hope I can straighten out my Thor's hammer of a compressor...
    when my friends come up, i hear, "you sold the camarrrroooh.....HOLY BLEEP A WRX!"
    Ya has that effect on me too.
    Rob

Where did he go?? http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/builds...ll-thread.html