Ok, so it's not the alternator - what is up now? - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on Ok, so it's not the alternator - what is up now? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; idler pulley, eh? ive been pondering this for a couple weeks, trying to make sense of it all, and im ...

idler pulley, eh?

ive been pondering this for a couple weeks, trying to make sense of it all, and im back to thinking it might be the alternator. im just wondering if its not working properly after warming up, as initially the car is fine. i would imagine if it was something like a pulley it would be off all the time.

im thinking now that when they tested the alternator it wasnt hot enough to be 'failing'.

if anyone else has had funky idling, did you notice your voltmeter was reacting as well?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

i didnt realize the voltmeter acting up... my mechanic buddy and i widdled it down to one of two issues w/ my car. it's either the ac compressor or the pulley. the pulley was really gnarly, so i changed that first. it's been a couple days and hasnt acted up yet. if it does i know its the ac compressor. in my case i know it was something with the ac, b/c once i took of the ac belt, and ran without ac, the car ran perfectly fine. it didnt stall once. i hope that helps.

You could be right about the alternator not messing up until it gets hot. Try to drive it around kinda hard for a while and when you notice it messing up take it somewhere to get it checked. Unless the idle is moving around a lot, you shouldn't see the amp gauge change. It almost has to be a bad alternator or a loose wire somewhere. (maybe at the fuse box, battery or the gauge itself.

Quote Originally Posted by whec2018 View Post
    You could be right about the alternator not messing up until it gets hot. Try to drive it around kinda hard for a while and when you notice it messing up take it somewhere to get it checked. Unless the idle is moving around a lot, you shouldn't see the amp gauge change. It almost has to be a bad alternator or a loose wire somewhere. (maybe at the fuse box, battery or the gauge itself.
    ive thought about this so much in the past couple weeks, it is literally driving me nuts... (no pun intended)

however, the more i think about it, the more i think it has to be electrical related, otherwise, i dont think the voltmeter would do anything until the idle got REAL bad, which i guess it never really does.

where are some wire grounds i can check out?

I would follow each of the wires from the batters and wiggle them around any where that they have a connection and then check at each of the fuse boxes and make sure that the power feeding to them is tight. Also make sure your ground from the battery to the frame and to the block are good and tight and there is no corrosion on any of these wires.

Is in Love With the Admins Here 20WRX04's Avatar
    rudemood12, you've been dealing with this issue for over a month. I highly suggest taking it to a Subaru dealership for professional service. Boom, whack, done.
    The first rule of the Faction is...DO NOT TALK ABOUT THE FACTION.
    NY GIANTS
    Hybrid Faction #19
    Blobeye Syndicate #19
    Mods

How old is the car.... Has you're throttle body ever been cleaned?

My Sentra had a rough weird idle issue but it was solved relatively easy by simply cleaning throttle body. Removed the intake...sprayed the cleaner on it dried it light spray with the car running reattached intake and no more weird idle.

Just a thought dunno if this might be a subaru only thing.

Quote Originally Posted by 20WRX04 View Post
    rudemood12, you've been dealing with this issue for over a month. I highly suggest taking it to a Subaru dealership for professional service. Boom, whack, done.
    yeah, i might just have to do that anyways. i was hoping to be able to resolve this myself, but lack of time/work area will probably mean this is inevitable.

dstrbdtech, they cleaned the throttle body last time i brought it into the shop, using the TSB they released on it. removed the intercooler, sprayed some stuff into the intake, etc. didnt seem to do the trick.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.