Inside my trunk wet

This is a discussion on Inside my trunk wet within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Backstory- When I got my hood and front bumper fixed the body shop owner showed me that the drivers side ...

Inside my trunk wet

Backstory- When I got my hood and front bumper fixed the body shop owner showed me that the drivers side rear quarter panel had been replaced. I thought nothing of this other than stupid me I missed that when looking over the car when I bought it.

Story- Okay heres the deal, for the past week the trunk liner has been very wet in my car and after a few days was starting to smell musty. I figured one morning my sprinkler system was on it to long and somehow water got in the trunk. Well today I take out the trunk liner only to see the wood piece that covers the spare is wet, so I remove that as well. Once I do that I see there is some water in the rim of the spare tire. So I take out the spare tire and to my surprise there is a nice bowl of water sitting in the spare tire well, I then take some towels and dry this up. I keep looking around for more water and find some where the jack for the car is. After finding that I was very annoyed and very confused. I was wondering if anyone knew how this much water could have possible gotten into my trunk?

Any input is much appreciated

~Gollski88~

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Do you drive a wagon or sedan?
    ~My wife says I drive like a "grandpa", but she drives like a "bat out of hell"
    03 Wrx
    04 2.5RS

its an 02 sedan

Well, there goes that idea.
    03 Wrx
    04 2.5RS

Do you have a spoiler?? Water could be coming through there or your tail lights.
    03 Wrx
    04 2.5RS

yeah it has the factory spoiler on there, I am going to have the body shop look at it sometime during the coming week and see what they say about it.

Its most likely coming from one of your rear tire wells. If they replaced a quarter its very likely they didn't seal the seams in the panals well enough...The water will accumulate alot more quickly if your driving it in the rain and through puddles. Try taking a hose and spraying inside the wheel wells and up from underneath the car. Also there is a water drain plug that you can pop out to drain the water. Check all the ruberized coatings in the wheel well and the quarter panal seams with other body panals inside the trunk...I have seen this on three other previously repaired WRX's with rear quarter damage and underbody damage in the trunk area. If all else fails take it to a body shop...they usually make quick work of picking apart issues on previously repaired vehicles.

Thanks a lot ill try that today when I wash my car, if it turns out to be they didn't seal it well enough how easy is that to fix?