Knock Knock- my hybrid motor build - Page 2
Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

This is a discussion on Knock Knock- my hybrid motor build within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Originally Posted by 20WRX04 I wouldn't want to put EJ20 heads on an EJ25. I've read about quite a few ...

Quote Originally Posted by 20WRX04 View Post
    I wouldn't want to put EJ20 heads on an EJ25.
    I've read about quite a few people doing WRX heads on an EJ25. Why don't you want to do it that way?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Is in Love With the Admins Here 20WRX04's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jeremy96gase View Post
    I've read about quite a few people doing WRX heads on an EJ25. Why don't you want to do it that way?
    I haven't quite researched it yet but I assumed (there's that damn word again) that the STi heads would flow better vs. the wrx heads.
    The first rule of the Faction is...DO NOT TALK ABOUT THE FACTION.
    NY GIANTS
    Hybrid Faction #19
    Blobeye Syndicate #19
    Mods

I haven't quite researched it yet but I assumed (there's that damn word again) that the STi heads would flow better vs. the wrx heads.
    Yes, the STi heads will flow better, but the WRX heads are no slouch.
    The heads that are $500 each, does that come with the Cams and everything else, or is that just a bare head?

Quote Originally Posted by jeremy96gase View Post
    Yes, the STi heads will flow better, but the WRX heads are no slouch.
    The heads that are $500 each, does that come with the Cams and everything else, or is that just a bare head?
    Just the bare head.

I think i've decided to just pull & build my motor now with better pistons & rods. Along with some other P/P/C parts from Grimmspeed. It'll cost the same to build the motor as it would to put the STi motor all together.
    NY GIANTS
    Hybrid Faction #19
    Blobeye Syndicate #19
    Mods

I would leave everything alone and just put the stock STi block with stock STi internals in there and not fuss about with porting stuff or doing forged internals. Built motors never, ever, ever last as long as they are advertised to and they almost always eat more oil than the owners are comfortable with. I may get a few heated responses to saying this, but you're better off trying to keep it simple when it comes to motor replacement. Which is not to say that there aren't some really sick things you could do if you're tearing your car apart...you could. Take it from someone who did 2 built motors in his last WRX...not worth the aggravation. Get a reliable setup that runs properly and has close to factory longevity/lifespan.

Also, for what it's worth, if you use stock size headgaskets on 2.5 block with 2.0 heads, your compression is just under 9:1; the reason people complain about this is because they have a hard time running the boost numbers they want to run, i.e. 25psi on an 20g or a Green on race gas. High compression is a totally different game. I would recommend you talk to a motor builder like axis or crawford and ask them how they would address this. The long answer is "low compression aftermarket pistons." The short answer is "thicker headgasket."

I might also try to find a JDM STi 2.0 block if I were you...rock solid internals, super smooth powerband, no retune/turbo upgrade required to make everything run smoothly. I have often thought of replacing the the stock USDM 2.5L motor in my STi with a JDM 2.0L motor...assuming I had a big pile of cash lying around

Best of luck.

^^^ Thanks for the input & advice Tim. I really appreciate it. This is my first Subaru motor build & i'm just scratching the surface of what I should & shouldn't do. My buddy, a Subaru master tech, will be doing most of the work so at least I know that portion will be taken care of. There's a lot of things to think about when it comes to these kinds of situations. I'm just going to take it all in & see where it leads me.

So you're saying it's a good thing to use a thicker head gasket with 2.0 heads on a 2.5 block? I've got so much to learn when it comes to hybrid builds.

I would look into a JDM 2.0 block, however i would be getting the 2.5 motor for $400. Can't beat that!

As of right now i'm leaning toward a build with my 2.0 motor but i'm not ruling anything out yet. Decisions, decisions.

OT but how do you like VaBeach/Norfolk? I lived out there in 2004. Good times.
    Last edited by 20WRX04; 08-01-2008 at 08:43 PM.
    NY GIANTS
    Hybrid Faction #19
    Blobeye Syndicate #19
    Mods

So you're saying it's a good thing to use a thicker head gasket with 2.0 heads on a 2.5 block? I've got so much to learn when it comes to hybrid builds.

I would look into a JDM 2.0 block, however i would be getting the 2.5 motor for $400. Can't beat that!

As of right now i'm leaning toward a build with my 2.0 motor but i'm not ruling anything out yet. Decisions, decisions.

OT but how do you like VaBeach/Norfolk? I lived out there in 2004. Good times.
    Well, having done both a built USDM 2.0 and an STi 2.5, once that 2.5 is in there it's definitely not coming out

The thicker heaadgasket will basically, in very plain speak, add more volume to the combustion chamber so that the compression ratio is lower. This is a VERY overly simplistic explanation, but it's what a lot of other tuning communities do when they want a little less static CR without cracking into the motor to do pistons.

VA is nice, reminds me of a cross between southern california and Long Island, where I grew up. I am still having a hard time coming to grips with how much more expensive everything is compared to Pensacola, though....it's crazy!

Quote Originally Posted by Timdog1650 View Post
    Well, having done both a built USDM 2.0 and an STi 2.5, once that 2.5 is in there it's definitely not coming out
    The thicker heaadgasket will basically, in very plain speak, add more volume to the combustion chamber so that the compression ratio is lower. This is a VERY overly simplistic explanation, but it's what a lot of other tuning communities do when they want a little less static CR without cracking into the motor to do pistons.
    VA is nice, reminds me of a cross between southern california and Long Island, where I grew up. I am still having a hard time coming to grips with how much more expensive everything is compared to Pensacola, though....it's crazy!
    I've got a lot of researching to do before I come up with a solid decision. Thanks for the info.

I loved VA. Yeah it can be expensive down there. The state taxes are lower but they hit you with all kinds of other taxes to make up for it. And you gotta love the torrential downpour season.
    NY GIANTS
    Hybrid Faction #19
    Blobeye Syndicate #19
    Mods

Ok, so i've decided to keep it extremely simple. Depending on the condition of the internal engine components, I might be able to just get away with getting ARP head bolts, Cometic head gaskets, Cosworth bearings & hi flow oil pump. And i'll get the valve seats refinished. If I have to replace anything else (crank, rods & pistons), i'll probably just go stock but i'm not ruling out better stuff. There's too many possible cons, let alone additional mods, to running a hybrid motor. I'll hopefully be pulling the motor out at the end of August. Happy bday to me,.. I think.
    NY GIANTS
    Hybrid Faction #19
    Blobeye Syndicate #19
    Mods

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by 20WRX04
    Ok, so i've decided to keep it extremely simple. Depending on the condition of the internal engine components, I might be able to just get away with getting ARP head bolts, Cometic head gaskets, Cosworth bearings & hi flow oil pump. And i'll get the valve seats refinished. If I have to replace anything else (crank, rods & pistons), i'll probably just go stock but i'm not ruling out better stuff. There's too many possible cons, let alone additional mods, to running a hybrid motor. I'll hopefully be pulling the motor out at the end of August. Happy bday to me,.. I think.
    I think that's best - this is going to be expensive enough. Again, let me know when all this is going down, and I'll try to come out for a day or two
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Quote Originally Posted by idipskoalmint View Post
    I think that's best - this is going to be expensive enough. Again, let me know when all this is going down, and I'll try to come out for a day or two
    Thanks. I will definately do that. I'm shooting for Aug 29th to pull the motor, but it depends on my buddy's schedule.
    NY GIANTS
    Hybrid Faction #19
    Blobeye Syndicate #19
    Mods

I Support ClubWRX
    If the engine is to the point of knocking, there is damage to the crank. The crank will need to be measured and tested for cracks. If it can be saved, it will need to be machined, and fitted for over sized bearings. By the time you add up the labor and parts, it's not worth it. I would go with a good used engine from a reputable salvage yard that's plug and play. Pull one, drop in the other and get back to driving at the end of the weekend. Sell the heads and doodads from your old motor to recoup some of your money. I did this a couple years ago. My buddy's rex developed a rod knock. We bought a good used unit with 39k for $2000. I swapped the motor for him, and we parted out the old motor on Ebay and netted 1G from the parts. After it was all said and done he had his car back on the road for about $1250.00 or so.

Thanks TR, i'll keep all that in mind. I think i'll just end up getting a stock crank for my motor. I have a VF39 set up & I really don't want to put another motor in there that already has miles on the bearings, etc. It would only be a matter of time before the used bearings go.
    NY GIANTS
    Hybrid Faction #19
    Blobeye Syndicate #19
    Mods

Ok, a little update on my motor swap. If all goes well, I should be pulling the motor in a few weeks in favor of an STi motor. I decided to go with that motor & put my WRX heads/cams on it. Hybrid ftw! I'm going to replace the bearings in the STi motor with Cosworth bearings. I also just ordered P/P/C manifolds, TGV deletes, phenolic spacers & a new UP from Grimmspeed. I also got a larger TMIC that will be coated with a thermal dispersant from SwainTech. They are local to me, so it's a no brainer. Also got Autometer EGT & WBO2 sensors & gauges, along with an Innovate LC-1. One step colder plugs are on the way too. There's so much more I have yet to get....
    NY GIANTS
    Hybrid Faction #19
    Blobeye Syndicate #19
    Mods

Might i ak how did u blow it?