5W-20 or 5W-30?
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on 5W-20 or 5W-30? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hello sorry for the question but i wanted to know if its okay to put in 5W-20 Royal Purple synthetic ...

KpC

5W-20 or 5W-30?

Hello sorry for the question but i wanted to know if its okay to put in 5W-20 Royal Purple synthetic oil in my 2006 WRX. I know that the car is asking for 5W-30 but my cousin gave me a huge case of 5W-20 and he doesn't need it anymore. I really do not wanna let it go to waste right now. If anyone could help me, I would really appreciate it. Also for a bit more info, I live in New Jersey and the average temperature these days is in the 80-90 degrees.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    I might try that in cold weather only.
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

i would use 5w-20 in the winters for sure. i dont see how it would be bad to run that in the summers though either...

I Support ClubWRX
    Because a 20 weight oil is way to thin.I run a 5w40 in the summer.
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

KpC
    ya i know that its great for winter, but would it do harm to my car if I were to use it in the summer?

DUB
    Just sell it and buy the proper viscosity.

^...agree!

20 weight is too thin...that's basically what your 30 weight oil sheers to when it's time to replace it.
    "Let the ingorance die with the ignorant"

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.