Tried to rustle this up on the search

This is a discussion on Tried to rustle this up on the search within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; What's that metallic rustling from under the engine at WOT. Can only hear it with windows down. My previous WRX ...

Tried to rustle this up on the search

What's that metallic rustling from under the engine at WOT. Can only hear it with windows down. My previous WRX had the same sound, albeit less pronounced than that of the STI. In case this is only audible to me, try listing for "A quick series of small sounds" with a metallic (scraps of aluminum) noise. I babied the previous rex and got it new, so I don't see this as a problem caused by the previous owner of my STI. Thanks.
    The fast and the "Yeah right!"
    Blobeye #60
    2004 WRX STi Java Black Swirl
    2004 WRX san remo wingless sold
    99 Impreza 'L' grocery getter sold

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Wastegate flutter.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

What kind of gas are you putting in it? A metallic "rustling sound" could be detonation (pinging sound?)

Or, ive also heard the wastegate actuator noise be described as a rustling sound...but the noise goes away after the turbo as spooled all the way up.
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffbmx00 View Post
    nah i dont have a problem with spelling, i just play a lot of world of warcraft and thats how people type in that game.

Thanks so much. The first time I heard it in the rex I thought I ran over a soda can or something.
    Blobeye #60

Quote Originally Posted by lordcon View Post
    What kind of gas are you putting in it? A metallic "rustling sound" could be detonation (pinging sound?)

Or, ive also heard the wastegate actuator noise be described as a rustling sound...but the noise goes away after the turbo as spooled all the way up.
    1. 93 only
    2. This makes sense because it's audible during spool up times and indeed does go away. Thanks!
    Blobeye #60

I Support ClubWRX
    Your "soda can" comment sealed the deal. We have positive ID: flutter. Mine does it, everyone's does it.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.