My WRX :(
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on My WRX :( within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; So 6 months ago when enough money came around i decided it was finally time to get a WRX. I ...

My WRX :(

So 6 months ago when enough money came around i decided it was finally time to get a WRX. I was pretty impatient and went with the first one i checked out. The car had 59k on it and was owned by a 30 year old guy in downtown Chicago. When i picked up the car it ran fine didn't have any symptoms or any mechanical problems. It had a Lightened Flywheel and Stage 2 clutch by exedy, Turboxs BOV, Silencer Delete, and some unknown brand MBC(actually holds boost very well).

I quickly brought the car back to stock, the clutch was to much for me. It shuddered like crazy so i got the oem clutch and fly at about 61k, Put on the stock bpv even earlier, put back the air silencer and then about a month ago i replaced all the stock boost solenoid hosing. So now the car is 100% stock althought i feel like shes not to happy.
    List of symptoms im worried about
    - Boost leak somwhere, vac sits at 15-16. full boost never comes on at the same time
    - 2nd gear takes awhile too engage if doing WOT pulls(longer than other gears)
    - 1-2nd shift feels sluggish hard to land smooth
    - 2nd gear whine from 1900rpm-3000rpm
    - I get a loud humming noise throughout the car if im in 3rd 4th and 5th. It requires you to be at certain rpms in certain gears for it to happen. 4th gear is the loudest but only does is up to 3000rpm. The throttle has to be slightly in(coasting throttle) for it to come on in any gear.
    - If the AC is on the car acts differently. If sitting in netural and rev to 4000rpm the rpms go up slightly slower and come back down to idle very quick compared to with the ac off. I get a sort of whine noise as well with the ac on with small revs.
    - The car likes to bog down if trying to let the clutch out quick in 1st/not launching at all just a quicker grab. ( feels like a symptom of the boost leak)
    - if coasting at 2000rpms in 1st and i floor the gas the car bucks a bit to where i can feel it as it builds boost.

In conclusion the car still pulls nice and hard, idle seems fine but these noises and such are just to much to hear everyday and not be concerned. Im just worried she was beat pretty bad before i got her, or these are just symptoms of rexes getting old. Sorry for being soooo long im just very concerned as this is my new and only car for a long time. Any input would be great!
    Thanks, Evan
    Last edited by scoobe; 07-29-2008 at 09:21 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

the part where you went wrong was buying a car with an MBC, BOV and upgraded clutch.

that motor and trans are likely VERY unhealthy

Yeah i wish i was a member here before i friken went shopping. The good news is i have a extended subaru warranty until 84k. Full Powertrain

I feel like the trans is alright, i have no grinds whatsoever and am running Amsoil Sever Gear. I feel i might just need lots of new syncros or just a new 2nd gear.

Quote Originally Posted by scoobe View Post
    Yeah i wish i was a member here before i friken went shopping. The good news is i have a extended subaru warranty until 84k. Full Powertrain

I feel like the trans is alright, i have no grinds whatsoever and am running Amsoil Sever Gear. I feel i might just need lots of new syncros or just a new 2nd gear.
    the bad news is the car is modified, they wont pay for a thing.

The first paragraph says how i brought it back to stock in like a month.

You know, i read all of the things you are complaining about...and to be honest...and for the most part, its all normal:

- Boost leak somwhere, vac sits at 15-16. full boost never comes on at the same time
    ok, obviously not normal...would recheck the boost lines, etc.
    - 2nd gear takes awhile too engage if doing WOT pulls(longer than other gears)
    what do you mean "takes longer to engage?" As in hard to shift from...?
    - 1-2nd shift feels sluggish hard to land smooth
    At what rpm? I mean if you are flooring it and you are already at 6k on first gear, of course slamming it into second is going to be hard, also horrible for the transmission
    - 2nd gear whine from 1900rpm-3000rpm
    Deceleration whine? perfectly normal. If its loud and high pitched while accelerating, then its a syncro/differential issue.
    - I get a loud humming noise throughout the car if im in 3rd 4th and 5th. It requires you to be at certain rpms in certain gears for it to happen. 4th gear is the loudest but only does is up to 3000rpm. The throttle has to be slightly in(coasting throttle) for it to come on in any gear.
    engine bay/exhaust rattle at a very high vibration? Is it a ticking or knocking sound?
    - If the AC is on the car acts differently. If sitting in netural and rev to 4000rpm the rpms go up slightly slower and come back down to idle very quick compared to with the ac off. I get a sort of whine noise as well with the ac on with small revs.
    Absolutely normal....at least in the 2 wrx's ive owned. i hate using the AC...
    - The car likes to bog down if trying to let the clutch out quick in 1st/not launching at all just a quicker grab. ( feels like a symptom of the boost leak)
    Work on your clutch/gas technique. again normal.
    - if coasting at 2000rpms in 1st and i floor the gas the car bucks a bit to where i can feel it as it builds boost.
    Normal for the stock engine mapping. Reflashing with cobb accessport stages or other engine management will smooth out acceleration.

So with all that said...the car has 60k on it. Has the 60k service been done? Timing belt change is important. Flush/change fluids also important if not done...coolant, engine oil, differential oil, gear oil, etc. I bought a used '06 wrx with 19k miles on it this past April. Because i didnt know what was done maintenance wise...i had all fluids changed out, and air filter replaced even though the service schedule didn't call for them yet.

It doesnt help things that it was modified before you bought it (and improperly at that)...but the car is about 5 years old and simple by-the-book maintenance could potentially solve a lot of your problems.
    Last edited by lordcon; 07-29-2008 at 10:25 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffbmx00 View Post
    nah i dont have a problem with spelling, i just play a lot of world of warcraft and thats how people type in that game.

So you learned your lesson....... Know its time to fix your car.... I give you proppppppsss for putting it back to stock as best as you can. How about a tune-up... Sometimes a fuel filter and pluges will do mad justices...... Your trans is an expensive part of your car... Start with a good fluid change.... Work you way up. Its going to cost you alot of money to fix a syncro or a throw out bearing almost 600 to just crack the trans...... Good luck and let us know what happens.

Thanks for all the replies everyone.

Lordcon, i read over your post and heres the thing. When i got the car i got right on the track of doing everything required for the 60 k maintenance. When i got the car i ran it out of gas once due to faulty gas light. That broke either my fuel pump or filter, it was like 160$ to fix. I do all my own fluids, i got new engine,trans(Amsoil SVG),and diff oil(Amsoil) right around 60k. I also did spark plugs(oem), and had my shop do the coolant flush and fill. I'm pretty sure i did everything required, the timing belt comes at 100 thousand so long ways away for that.

About 2nd gear, landing a smooth shifts takes extra attention even driving like a granny so i think the syncros done there. And doing 6thousand rpm pulls makes 2nd harder to get in quick. I have no grinds, reverse locks in smooth most of the time. The whine is on acceleration throughout most of the 2nd gear also.

The hum noise in the higher gears sounds to me like a tranny or diff noise. It also makes it when i coast to a stop while in neutral which is relatively newer than when it hums in gear.

Ive checked all the lines i know off but i might be missing some, also when i sea foamed the car a week ago white smoke rose out of the engine bay right in between the block and the intake box.

phewwww.....

Thanks again!

Ok, cool i didnt read where you did the 60k maintenance stuff so its good that you did all that, and you're right....timing belt is 100k had a brain fart there.

Yeah it sounds like it might be a 2nd gear syncro as far as the humming you describe, and especially the smoothness for gear change. Also, you don't mention what year the car is? I can only go by your avatar that is a bugeye...but 02 or 03?
    nah i dont have a problem with spelling, i just play a lot of world of warcraft and thats how people type in that game.

Its an 03, ive got the BA transmissions code so i got the wider set.

So you think the 2nd gear synroc is a definite? The whine is pretty loud when accelerating. And could the humming in the higher gears come from the 2nd gear syncro? is that what you mean....

Thanks again.

I think thats your stage two clutch which is good for a 400whp car not a 185whp car (the wine). Maybe you should change the way you drive. e.i. slow down your shifts, let the stick go in gear don't force it. alot of quick shifts will show a weak syncro. When you had your trans fluid changed did you see any chunks of metel or alot of shavings.

for what its worth, my 1-2nd shift was always 'rough' from the day I bought the car w/ 48 miles on it until the day i got rid of it. It was always very hard to shift 1-2 smoothly. This is normal for most WRXs.

I am not sure what you mean by the transmission code/ wider gears. I have never heard anything about this.

do you know if the car has upgraded motor mounts/transmission mount? If so it might explain a lot of the shuddering any maybe some of the noise, especially when you mention that the car reacts differently with the AC compressor on.
    Last edited by ElBartoRex; 07-29-2008 at 08:18 PM.
    Current: 05 Mini Cooper S R53
    Former: 06 Acura RSX Type-S
    Former: 00 Integra GSR
    Former: 07 Mazdaspeed3
    Former: 04 WRX Stage 2+
    www.jscspeed.com

I got the oem clutch and flywheel back on about 2000 miles ago. Half of the 03's did not get the upgraded gear box. Due to all the 02 trannys going they widened the gears on half the 02's and all the 03's i believe

When i changed the fluid the drain bold has a little bit of shavings no chunks at all. The acceleration whine and slow shift in 2nd is really make me thing it or the syncro is going out.

Now that you bring up motor and tranny mounts i forgot to mention the when reving the engine it has a good amount of swing to it under the hood. When the engine is turned of the car is shakin a little bit by the motor turning off, and my stickshift moves a bit to when turning off/ reving the engine.

Thanks for the help everyone.
    Last edited by scoobe; 07-29-2008 at 08:25 PM.

maybe you need to check ur mounts first. I still think it's a sing of a syncro going bad. Just take an easy on it

Quote Originally Posted by scoobe View Post
    I got the oem clutch and flywheel back on about 2000 miles ago. Half of the 03's did not get the upgraded gear box. Due to all the 02 trannys going they widened the gears on half the 02's and all the 03's i believe

When i changed the fluid the drain bold has a little bit of shavings no chunks at all. The acceleration whine and slow shift in 2nd is really make me thing it or the syncro is going out.

Now that you bring up motor and tranny mounts i forgot to mention the when reving the engine it has a good amount of swing to it under the hood. When the engine is turned of the car is shakin a little bit by the motor turning off, and my stickshift moves a bit to when turning off/ reving the engine.

Thanks for the help everyone.

The engine throbbing back and forth when you rev is totally normal, as well as the shudder and shake when turning it off. My 06 with the 2.5l seems to be a little more dramatic with the shuddering. At idle, every couple seconds you can feel it shake in the drivers seat. If i watch the engine from under the hood i can see it rock back and forth...If you search, you will find others observing the same behavior of their cars...just the nature of the beast. (or rather the horizontally opposed engine rocking back and forth as the pistons move)

Back to the 2nd gear issue....I mean is this whine obnoxious? Is it louder than if you were just to rev it high in first and let it decelerate? I mean my 2nd gear make from-gradual-to high frequency whine when i send the needle all the way up but the noise isnt the gear as much as its the turbo spooling.

I agree with some of the other posters regarding the gearbox...the 5spd is as elegant and crisp as a wet dog. If you think its not smooth now, just wait till cold weather sits in, it will feel like you are dragging a stick through a bucket of rocks.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast