Inconsistent Boost

This is a discussion on Inconsistent Boost within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I've just got my first WRX; a standard 2001, but I'm ecstatic! My problem is the boost keeps restricting itself ...

Red face Inconsistent Boost

I've just got my first WRX; a standard 2001, but I'm ecstatic! My problem is the boost keeps restricting itself down by 50% every now and again, and sometimes it doesn't. I was told the comp. is putting it into 'safe mood'!? Any help from you WRX guru's?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by PCWRX01 View Post
    I've just got my first WRX; a standard 2001, but I'm ecstatic! My problem is the boost keeps restricting itself down by 50% every now and again, and sometimes it doesn't. I was told the comp. is putting it into 'safe mood'!? Any help from you WRX guru's?
    What do you have done to it.Do you have a boost controller.

I have the standard boost gauge which comes with the car, showing your boost from .0 to .15 On a good day it shows I'm getting .1 but every now and then restricts itself to .05

I Support ClubWRX
    Is the CEL on? Does the car buck or run erratically otherwise?
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

The CEL was on initially until I changed the fuel, and now its off, but the boost still restricts itself every now and then. I've just got the CEL report which says something about Fuel Trim malfunction. Fuel here in Kenya is pretty bad most of the time and very low on octane. Could that be the reason? Is there a ratio for octane boost to litres?