Industrial Fallout? Paint Defect?
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Industrial Fallout? Paint Defect? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; So, I've been wracking my brain on a little paint problem I've been having for quite some time now. Like ...

Industrial Fallout? Paint Defect?

So, I've been wracking my brain on a little paint problem I've been having for quite some time now.

Like every daily driver, a car is going to be scuffed up a little bit, but I'm having a very persistant problem what seems to be industrial fallout on my hood/front bumper.

Every week a tiny spot seems to appear on my paint, 80% on my hood. After a couple of weeks it grows into a little black smudge on my hood that will not buff/wax/polish/ and or clay out. Its actual blemishes developing on the paint, no matter where I park the car. Eventually the smudge starts developing into little circular dots of missing paint on the hood.

I took it to the Subaru dealer and they litterally said "That'll buff out" Yeah, I already tried that.

Any suggestions, here is a picture for reference of what the smudges look like, its very bad quality but it is hard to get the camera to focus on a tiny black blemish on an all white surface just waxed.

I now have roughly 7 or 8 of these marks on my car total, the largest two being quite noticable.
    TEH KILLZOR PANDA WRX.
    Mods - Cardomain
    Me - Myspace

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Industrial fallout? Sorry.

Subaru's paint is very thin, small stones/road debris will eat away at your front bumper, hood, and side fenders. Mine is completly spackled with tiny chips all over. If there comes a time where those parts need to be painted, id get the 3M clear film that is an exact cutout of your bumper, also theres a strip that goes about 5-6 inches up the hood, again to protect your paint from the rocks.
    2005 WRB WRX "was" STAGE 2

+1, it may just be our awesome factory paint.
    I worked car sales for two years and we used this stuff called XZILON. Any paint, plastic, metal, glass area you apply this stuff to becomes incredibly resistant to wear and tear. You can take a can of spray paint and paint your hood, let it dry, and the paint will wipe off with your finger. On the windshield it acts like super rainX, and the break dust just sprays off the wheels. This is all from my own personal experience. I imagine the results vary, but this stuff is pretty cool, although I do not believe it is the cheapest stuff out there Heres a link I found. Welcome to Xzilon
    2004 PSM WRX VF39'd and loving it.
    1979 Camaro Z28 383 stroker
    1993 Silverado 6.5 TD "Old Smokey"
    1974 Honda CB750 cafe racer project
    blObeye SYNDICATE #88
    "In art, as in love, instinct is enough."

Quote Originally Posted by jeffmm06 View Post
    Industrial fallout? Sorry.

Subaru's paint is very thin, small stones/road debris will eat away at your front bumper, hood, and side fenders. Mine is completly spackled with tiny chips all over. If there comes a time where those parts need to be painted, id get the 3M clear film that is an exact cutout of your bumper, also theres a strip that goes about 5-6 inches up the hood, again to protect your paint from the rocks.
    Industrial Fallout

But yeah, I've got one behind my the scoop as well, so I'm not sure whether its coming from the road/bugs They seem to appear and they get worse when they get washed/waxed. I'll try to get some better photos. And yes, I am getting a clearbra when I have enough cash. :P
    TEH KILLZOR PANDA WRX.
    Mods - Cardomain
    Me - Myspace

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.