CEL on 2005 2.0L

This is a discussion on CEL on 2005 2.0L within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Alright I just bought this car form a friend because he was tight on money, and gave me a good ...

CEL on 2005 2.0L

Alright I just bought this car form a friend because he was tight on money, and gave me a good deal on it.

The car has active codes:
    P0133B - O2 sensor b1 s1 slow response
    P0171B - Bank 1 too lean
    P0420 - Cat eff. below threshold (b1)

The car has aftermarket headers, up-pipe, and a cat back exhaust. Anyone know what it may be? I work at a Peterbuilt dealership and the guys there said its probably a faulty O2 sensor, but then again we work on diesel engines haha. So, some input form someone else with some exp. would be great.
    2005 WRX w/ short ram air intake, XS Power headers & up-pipe, Full Race cat back exhaust, Momo short shifter.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Does it have an aftermarket downpipe too?

What about engine mgmt? (ECU Reflash)
    2005 WRB WRX "was" STAGE 2

has stock downpipe and stock engine mang.
    2005 WRX w/ short ram air intake, XS Power headers & up-pipe, Full Race cat back exhaust, Momo short shifter.

If the car has a stock DP I would start with a new o2 sensor. My car was throwing the cel with the p0420 code as well, but then again I have a catless dp. Until I can afford EM, I fixed it the cheap way by using "anti spark plug foulers" and so far I have no cel after about 1000 miles. If you get the 420 code again I would suggest doing that, unless you can afford EM...

so you'd go with a set of non-foulers or new o2 sensor. If u put a new sensor which o2 sensor would need to be replaced, or if i went with the non-fouler which one would I put the it on?

I would start with a new o2 sensor. Do you have access to a scan tool, to monitor the o2 sensor and see if its switching rich/lean like it should be?

Alright I tried the non-fouler trick and that took away the p0420 code, but i still have the p0171 and p0133. So, what do ya say... bad O2 sensor?

yea

just get a new o2 sensor and if you a a port hook it up and check an see if your codes are all good

Quote Originally Posted by ex400rocks View Post
    If the car has a stock DP I would start with a new o2 sensor. My car was throwing the cel with the p0420 code as well, but then again I have a catless dp. Until I can afford EM, I fixed it the cheap way by using "anti spark plug foulers" and so far I have no cel after about 1000 miles. If you get the 420 code again I would suggest doing that, unless you can afford EM...
    could you elaborate on how you did it and what you used? i am very interested because i am about to put on my catless DP soon and i know that i will get a 420 code so anything to prolong it from showing up would be great! (until i can afford EM as well)