Odd sound, dented pan, and more
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Odd sound, dented pan, and more within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I'll try to make this short. It is three questions, the picture below aids with two of them. Please note ...

Odd sound, dented pan, and more

I'll try to make this short. It is three questions, the picture below aids with two of them. Please note the car in the picture is not mine I got it off the Perrin website.

1. I was jacking up my car at what I believed to be the correct point (the one in the center under the engine) but I couldn't find any pictures for reference and now I am second guessing myself. Is circle #1 the right location?

2. I believe circle #2 is the oil pan but I am not certain; anyhow its slightly dented (maybe pushed in 1/4" at the most and its a roundish dent, no sharp corners). I checked thoroughly for leaks there are none, it has maintained its oil level fine; and on a side note I don't think it was something I did probably the former owner going over a bump too fast as the car is really low. Is this something that is urgent or is it something that could wait for a bit? (as long as no more damage occurs and no leaks appear)

3. I got the wheels about an inch off the ground and then every time I pushed down the handle I heard a soft but steady hiss (like pressure being released from something) and once I got to the bottom and let up my hand for a second it would stop. I checked the release valve on the jack ($30 hydraulic 2 ton cheapy jack btw) but I have a feeling thats probably what it was; however if I was wrong about the jacking point...well...in that case I may have caused some damage *bangs head into wall*

Help is greatly appreciated. And yes I have searched the forums (and others) no reference to these questions was found (by me anyway).

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

DUB

Man, you definitely just tried to jack your car up at the OIL PAN.

Bad idea.

I don't know about our subies, but I know if you did that to most hondas, you'd need to replace your oil pan ASAP or might risk starving the motor of oil.

Once again, i don't know about subies though.

You always wanna lift on the CROSSMEMBER, not the oil pan.

Sorry - your car looks highly modified, how did you not know this??

(Subframe brace, headers, etc.)
    SOLD: 2004 WR Blue WRX
    SOLD:2006 WR Blue Wrx - Perrin 25mm Front Sway + 22mm Rear Adjustable Sway and Kartboy Endlinks - Nitto Invo 225/45/17 - Opensource STG One.
    CURRENT: 2006 Legacy GT Limited - STOCK (for now)

Thanks DUB I feel a lot better knowing I didn't screw up the jacking point. Pictures very helpful

dowright82

Are you trying to tell me that in my picture in post#1 the RED circle with a 1 to the left of it is the oil pan? I am no mechanic but something tells me that an oil pan doesn't usually come with holes cut in it.

The headers are the Black pipes running above and to the left of RED circle #2.

The subframe brace (or replacement thereof) is the red multipoint harnesses on the left and the right of the picture I Posted...and last but not least if you read my first post it says - Please note the car in the picture is not mine I got it off the Perrin website.

DUB
    Just ignore dowright82, I don't think he even read your post.

Sorry guys!! thats not what I was trying to say - the diagrams posted below clarify any possible question you might have regarding where the proper lift points are.

All I was trying to say was that (i hope someone will chime in and let me know if this is true or not) in some cases, if you dent your oil pan, it can offset the flow of oil to your motor etc, and result in oil starvation.

Thats all I meant - just saying - make sure that if you DID indeed dent your oil pan, find out if it dented enough to critically damage . . . or else you might be unhappy later.

I'm also confused, because I recently changed the way posts display here (chronologically) and it has taken some getting used to since now the order they display is OPPOSITE what I'm used to - (i'm trying it out to see if I like this display method.)
    Last edited by dowright82; 07-27-2008 at 10:26 AM.
    SOLD: 2004 WR Blue WRX
    SOLD:2006 WR Blue Wrx - Perrin 25mm Front Sway + 22mm Rear Adjustable Sway and Kartboy Endlinks - Nitto Invo 225/45/17 - Opensource STG One.
    CURRENT: 2006 Legacy GT Limited - STOCK (for now)

I Support ClubWRX
    the pickup tube in the oil pan hovers about an inch or so from the very bottom of the pan. the pic doesnt look like it's extremely dented, so I wouldn't sweat it too much, honestly.

as long as it's not crushed upward, then you'll have a problem, as the oilflow will be restricted to the pickup tube..

and yes, #1 is fine to jack the car from, as DUB pointed out.
    Rogan o_0
    '96 Dodge 2500 CTD @ 40psi - over 700 lb/ft TQ, 7" stack, and 5speed! - SOLD
    '01 Dodge 2500 CTD 6-holed hand-shaker - 3850# dual disk - 900 lb/ft - SOLD
    '97 Dodge 3500 CTD DUALLY built Auto - 40psi boosties - 750 lb/ft

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.