Fan

This is a discussion on Fan within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; So here's an odd one. I am curious if anyone else has encountered this: Ok so hood up I am ...

Fan

So here's an odd one. I am curious if anyone else has encountered this:

Ok so hood up I am facing the windshield. 2 fans attached to radiator. Left one appears to go on and off temp based I guess the left one doesnt appear to be turning on. I spin in manually and there is no resistance good thing. I turn the ac on thinking it is the ac fan and it would go on when the ac does... wrong doesnt turn on. I stand thinking for an hour or so checking the wiring etc. Finally I pop open the fuse box.. should have been the first thing I checked right? Blown fuse. I replace the fuse and turn the ac on. The fan kicks on immediately. My temps have been steady at about midpoint or just below on the guage. No CEL ever. How long could it have been like that? I never would have noticed if I wasnt working under the hood today. It has also been in for a recall service/timing belt/cv joints and other maintenance. No one else seemed to notice.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Two thoughts come to mind when thinking about this...

1) The stock water temp gauge in the cockpit is notoriously inaccurate and if I remember correctly requires something like a 50 degree temp swing to make any movement above normal, which is a lot in terms of a coolant system.

2) If one fan was working correctly and you haven't ever experienced any problems, it probably isn't something to worry about.

So keeping those things in mind, I would probably say that you're in the clear, but since you are only relying on a notoriously inaccurate gauge to form that opinion, it's not 100% certain that you weren't outside of the stock limitations. So long as no symptoms manifest within say 500 miles, I would assume there was no damage done. That fan only helps cool when there is added load on the cooling system from the AC condenser (since they are co-located, I would imagine one could possibly heat the other).

Thanks for the input. I wasnt all that concerned, I just thought it was odd that we get CEL's for somethings that are completely useless and something like this which could be damaging does nothing. Luckily aside from last week We have had a pretty mild summer in NJ.

So one quick question. Are the fans supposed to stay on even after the car has turned off?
    My emotions, and how my car is currently running are somehow interconnected. I would hate to see how I would react if I totalled it!

If you have a turbo timer installed they can, but that isnt normal afaik

Quote Originally Posted by phantastic View Post
    If you have a turbo timer installed they can, but that isnt normal afaik
    What is afaik?
    My emotions, and how my car is currently running are somehow interconnected. I would hate to see how I would react if I totalled it!

Quote Originally Posted by steverasman View Post
    What is afaik?

As Far As I Know??