Engine Hood Damper?!
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Engine Hood Damper?! within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Is there any functional benefit of the cardboard-foamy thing clipped to the underside of the hood?... AKA is it ok ...

Engine Hood Damper?!

Is there any functional benefit of the cardboard-foamy thing clipped to the underside of the hood?... AKA is it ok if I remove this and will it have any negative effects???

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    It deadens sound, protects the paint from heat generated by the motor and absorbed by the metal, and ideally in case of fire it'd be designed to drop onto the motor like a cloak -- although the last bit is IMO optimistic and maybe even science fiction. There's no reason to remove it anyway.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

DUB
    I too am curious as to why you would want to remove it?

some of the clips seem to be missing and some of it some how is like cracking around the clip points. just curious is all.

DUB
    If I were you I would just get a few replacement clips and repair the cracking with some sort of silicon adhesive.

I don't konw if it can be "fixed" with an adhesive... the crappy material just kinda disintegrates. It just falls to crums. Hmmm.
    I think its like 50 bucks to get a new one and clips are like $1.80

I Support ClubWRX
    go new
    Rogan o_0
    '96 Dodge 2500 CTD @ 40psi - over 700 lb/ft TQ, 7" stack, and 5speed! - SOLD
    '01 Dodge 2500 CTD 6-holed hand-shaker - 3850# dual disk - 900 lb/ft - SOLD
    '97 Dodge 3500 CTD DUALLY built Auto - 40psi boosties - 750 lb/ft

I Support ClubWRX
    I'm wondering what happened to the old one. My car is driven in a hot climate and I do absolutely nothing to the engine bay other than wipe down the top of the motor or whatever I'm (not...) working on*** but the deadening material is intact and looks fine. I wonder if the previous owner steam cleaned the engine bay and the stuff deteriorated or what?

***In the "how to buy used" sticky thread I say to never buy a car with a squeaky clean engine bay; go find a nice dirty one. I still believe that -- it's easier to see leaks and potential problems when the bay hasn't been steam cleaned and shined up. I use a rag to get the dirt off the top of my motor, and get the leaves out to avoid decaying debris, but the elements do the rest. No leaks, no problems (granted, no car show trophies, but it's not that kind of party).
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Yeah I have no idea.

I did however just clean my engine bay with some simple green and a rag, but I'm not planning on selling this car for a long time.

I guess I'll stop by a body shop and see if they can't find me some clips and hope this thing holds together when clipped properly.
    Last edited by corybb; 07-25-2008 at 08:53 PM.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.